We recently spent three days in Ella and were fairly dissapointed with "the View" after reading rave reviews by fellow travelers.
1. The rooms and guesthouse is new (and thus the rooms and furniture have that newly constructed feel). high ceilings, hot water, etc
2. The food was outstanding (granted we only had one meal - dinner. And the cook asked us to write a review when we commented how good it was. That being said, it was one of our better meals in Sri Lanka).
1. Poorly designed. The construction/design of the guesthouse doesnt permit you to fully enjoy "the view" - Support columns partially block the view of the Ella gap and there is a tree that sits directly in front of the bedroom windows (actually appears it was reently planted).
2. Walls are paper thin. We could hear EVERYTHING.
3. No mosquito nets and the bathroom window was broken and thus would not fully close. Didn't get a good nights rest and apparently nor did the Mosquitos ...
4. Shady owner... Called the night before and informed him that we wanted to stay three nights. After spending one night we informed him the next morning that we were leaving. However, he made us pay for a second night because "we had reserved three nights"
If the rooms were all occupied I would understand. But when we left, three of the four rooms were empty...
Lastly, he informed us that breakfast was included in the price (eggs, fruit plate, juice, and choice of coffee or tea). When we awoke we wanted to secure another place so we had some tea and hit the road. He actually had the nerve to charge for the tea (only a few dollars but gimme a break). When I disputed the charge he claimed he never said breakfast was included.
*we ultimately walked two minutes down the road and spent the second and third nights at Zion View. More expensive ($85 vs $65), but Significantly better view, each room equipped with it's own hammock, and they even have mosquito nets. Oh yeah, and they didn't charge of for breakfast (which actually was included).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC