Like the last couple reviews said, past reviews had me and my wife nervous, but we hoped for the best when we headed down to CR for our honeymoon at the beginning of August. First impression, the resort is beautiful. Situated on the hills that lead to a nice beach, asthetically, it's nice. Yes, there's hills and lots of stairs. But think positively- it helps work off all that food you eat at the buffet.
- our room was nice. good size, nice balcony. it was ready on time.
- the pool area is great. plenty of ways to get away from the kids and "Fun Club." (kind of, see below in Cons.)
- the staff is amazing. they hustle, have smiles on their faces. i miss them already. Johnny, one of the PM buffet waiters, was the man.
- Hotel Beds, the (weirdly-named) tour group set up in the lobby is great. We went on two tours (Buena Vista Combo and the Arenal Volcano trip) through them and loved both.
- Pablo's Bar, the resort's one real bar. Nice vibe, great bartenders.
- Monkeys on the beach! Awesome, so awesome.
- our room was in building 11, which was great during the day- close to the pool, buffet & beach, but wildly annoying at night when the Fun Club is doing their thing in the theater.
- They say that in addition to the buffet, there are two restaurants- an Italian one and a Mexican one. This should actually be advertised as one room that on one night is Mexican-themed and the next night is Italian-themed. We tried both and then decided the buffet would be perfectly fine for the rest of the trip.
- The Fun Club...oh God the Fun Club. They're good kids and they're just doing their jobs, which I respect. But holy crap they're annoying. I don't know who is running sound for them, but PLEASE turn the microphone volume down. I'd imagine you could hear them from here in New Jersey if my windows were down. It's annoying as well because the microphone continues to override the regularly-playing music once they start their activities- so if you elect to skip them, which we did with all of them, you still hear them happening, which is annoying when you want to just chill by the pool or hang out at the swim up bar.
- This place has a dual-personality...meaning that one minute it's a chill ocean front resort and the next minute it's a Carnival cruise ship. But both of those identities are happening in the same area (usually the pool area,) so if you don't want to be a part of the cruise ship...tough luck.
- One more beer on tap (besides Imperial) would be great.
- I didn't like that there were competing tour groups at the resort. It makes things awkward. And that's not even counting the dudes sitting on the beach, telling you they can take you on ATV tours.
- They have dudes hanging around the pool area, trying to get you to take a tour of the Grand Papagayo, a hotel owned by the same company, that is across the bay. These guys, while nice and pleasant, are like vultures. Gets really annoying after awhile.
Ultimately this place got the job done for us as it was our first trip to Costa Rica. We'll go back to the country, but not to this hotel. Maybe once we have kids, but until then- probably not. It's way more kid-friendly then advertised, which isn't totally awesome when you're going some place for your honeymoon. The food at the buffet is okay, nothing that will blow you away, but enough available to fill your belly. Again, don't waste your time with the "restaurants."
Pablo's Bar is a fun place to hang out, but be warned, during the week when it's slower- the Fun Club run their kid's activities there, which is a bummer because there's really no other place to hang out. My wife and I are two adults with no kids and the only place for us to chill after dinner and enjoy a few drinks was Pablo's Bar. So you can imagine it was kind of a bummer when all of sudden they're having a kids dancing competition there. Do it someplace else! We want to enjoy our Imperials in peace.
I give this place three stars, because I feel two is too low.
But again, HotelBeds is the place to go for tours. I hope you get Arturo as a guide.
- Also Known As:
- Allegro Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Hotel
- Occidental Allegro Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Costa Rica
- Allegro Papagayo Gulf Of
- Allegro Papagayo Occidental
- Costa Rica Occidental
- Occidental Papagayo
- Allegro Papagayo Resort
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Otel, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Allegro Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.