My husband and I travelled to Samos with our 8 month old daughter. We wanted a nice hotel near to an airport and close to a small town. Doryssa did not disappoint. From the moment we got there we knew we had made the right choice. The hotel is located on a pebbly beach (although the seabed is sandy after a few metres) and an easy 15 minute stroll into Pythagorio. There is a pavement all the way into town which is great for those with pushchairs. Although the hotel is near the airport there are no nightflights and not too many flights. Seeing the aeroplanes take off and land was quite entertaining. Watersports are available on the beach. There are some very interesting ancient ruins next to the hotel.
We stayed in the main hotel building on the second floor overlooking the restaurant and pool. Although the rooms are not big they have made very good use of the space and they are nicely furnished. The toilet/shower room was the best that we have had in Greece and we have been going to Greece for many years. The air-conditioning worked well and was a must for a comfortable nights sleep. Our room was cleaned thoroughly everyday - not just a quick wipe around.
The resort itself was perfect for us. A shallow pool for children and a decent size pool for more serious swimming. There is also an outdoor jacuzzi. A lifeguard was on duty around the pool everyday. You could collect hotel towels for the sunloungers from a hut on the beach. There were plenty of large umbrellas all around the pool and lots of seats in addition to the sunloungers. My husband used the gym everyday - one thing to note is that it is closed from 2pm to 5pm. We have used gyms in other hotels and were impressed by the equipment, they have Tecnogym equipment aswell as some free weights. We didn't use the spa but it did look very good.
We booked half-board and were happy with the food. You can swap your evening meal for lunch if you give them notice. The dinner is a hot buffet but don't let this put you off. The food was a mixture of Greek and Italian. The pool-bar has a good variety of food/snacks and we would recommend the pizzas.
The village part of the hotel is very charming and is designed to be like an authentic Greek Village. There is a village square which has a couple of shops, a church and a traditional Kafenion.
The hotel grounds are well-maintaned and kept very clean - again, the best we have seen in Greece.
The majority of the guests were either Scandinavian or Italian.
The real strength of the hotel is the staff. They are SO friendly and helpful - from the cleaners to the management. We would like to give a special mention to the waiting staff, especially Alexandra, Eleftheria, Aggeliki and Dimitris. They made such a fuss of our daughter and she loved interacting with them when we had our lunch in the poolbar.
Pythagorio is a laid-back harbourside town. There are lots of bars and restaurants around the harbour. There are also a couple of supermarkets and lots of gift and jewellery shops.
We would recommend this holiday to couples and families and would love to go back next year. Well done to all the staff at Doryssa and keep up the good work.
- Also Known As:
- Doryssa Seaside Hotel Pythagorion
- Doryssa Seaside Hotel
- Doryssa Seaside Pythagorion
- Doryssa Seaside Resort Samos/Pythagorion
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Doryssa Seaside Resort is situated in the southern part of Samos, next to the historical and most popular destination of Pythagorion. After a full renovation finished in 2006, combined with completely new upgraded services, it has become a 5 star destination. Lovely areas stylish and tasteful. Doryssa village constructions recreate a traditonal Samos village. Doryssa village and the main hotel structure are situated by the seaside! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Doryssa Seaside Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.