We booked this hotel for 3 nights with some trepidation due to the mixed bag of reviews from other TA members. But it was a special birthday and we decided to treat ourselves.
We were allocated Room 1011, an Aoraki room on the top floor at one end with a balcony. The view was stunning, it was magic to wake up to in the morning. Our room soaked up the sun and there was good linen on the bed. Binoculars and coffee expresso machine are provided - a nice touch. The room was comfortable and spacious and we liked the double luggage rack for our suitcases. Bathrobes and slippers were promoted as a luxury here, when but they are a standard elsewhere in a hotel at this price point
The hotel directory in our room lacked the sort of information we wanted such as opening hours for the cafe and restaurants, menus and pricing. Food is expensive here but we expected that due to the location. The buffet dinner is $62.50 but that appears only to be available when there are tour groups staying. A set 3 course meal for $49.50 is served in the Panorama restaurant as an alternative when the hotel is quiet.
We had lunch each day at the cafe, plenty to choose from but steer clear of the filtered coffee option, expensive for self serve!. The cakes and pies were excellent. We enjoyed our one a la carte dinner in the Panorama Room, our food was well presented, hot on hot plates. Prices were the same as city prices but the food was comparable and showcased kiwi produce. Half of the mains are gluten free which is good news for coeliacs.
Public areas here were a bit utilitarian but we did enjoy riding in the glass lift looking at the view. Information about the laundry is out of date in the directory. The cost is $4.00 per wash including detergent and you will need $2 coins.
This hotel has no competition here but we would consider staying again just to wake up to that view!
- Also Known As:
- Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook Village
- Hermitage New Zealand
- The Hermitage Hotel New Zealand/Mt. Cook Village
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From an intrepid journey through glacial valleys to a mouth-watering culinary dining adventure, The Hermitage Hotel is the perfect 'base camp' to discover your Peak Experience. Choose from premium hotel rooms, motel units or cozy chalets. Add world-class activities such as Glacier Explorers, Tasman Valley 4WD and Argo Tours, Big Sky Stargazing, Encounter Day Walks, scenic flights or the visual extravaganza of the Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre and you have a unique, year-round alpine adventure perfect for the family holiday or your next romantic getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Olotels so you can book your The Hermitage Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.