The Sands at Chale Island is an ideal location if you are looking for sun, sand and quiet. It has the benefit of being away from the 'busy'ness of Diani which means no beach boys or hawkers. The bandas facing the ocean are lovely and there is a constant breeze so even if the sun becomes too much, there is always a gentle breeze. The white sand beach is gorgeous - although small. At high tide, the ocean is wonderful for dipping and at low tide is good for checking out the tide pools.
The service by the staff was excellent in the restaurant and on the beach. The free 30 minute massage was lovely and the location of the spa is wonderful... each 'room' is a little hut set in the mangroves. The pools were well maintained and designed.
The food was fine (buffet meals) - nothing to write home about but nothing to really complain about. The fresh fish at lunch and dinner was good and the fruit was plentiful. The pasta was good (after all, this is an Italian property.) It would get a bit boring after a few days I imagine. We did try the seafood restaurant (an additional charge) and while the ambiance and the starters were good, the main entrees (crab and lobster) were not well-seasoned or cooked. It was nice to have plenty of water on the table.
My friend went scuba diving and found the divemaster to be excellent and the prices much more reasonable than on Diani.
All in all, a very relaxing location - a great getaway from Nairobi. Not sure there is enough to do if you are coming to be very active.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands At Chale Island Hotel Diani
- The Sands At Chale Island Hotel
- Sands At Chale Island Ukunda
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and managed by the same team of sister resort The Sands At Nomad, this small, personal "boutique" resort is the perfect island getaway for those seeking the ultimate in relaxation, tranquility and Island flair. The resort was completely renovated in 2006 and has been built with a very strong focus on the envirnmental beauty of the Island. Two swimming pools, a mystical SPA and a well equiped watersports facility fullfil every wish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick so you can book your The Sands At Chale Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.