I have decided to write this as a bit of a list - to spare you my endless ramblings!
1) Gorgeous little cafe on site which sold cream teas (RESULT!)
2) Couple of cracking pubs within walking distance! (DOUBLE RESULT!)
3) Free parking, and plenty of space to choose from to pitch your tent (even on a bank holiday in good weather)
4) Plenty of toilets and showers for all, and they weren't too far away
5) Cheap to stay (£11)
6) As I said in the title - LOCATION! just excellent for exploring the many sights of Edale and the surrounding area :)
7) No vast string of site rules - just good old common sense and decency towards others, BBQ's are allowed (even disposables) if kept off the grass :)
1) The staff were slightly grumpy sorts, but who wouldn't be with 100's of random campers milling about on your farm all day, every day?!
2) The facilities were hairy to say the least...needed a good clean and dragging out of the dark ages!...don't forget your own loo roll, soap, and pack flip flops to wear in the shower!
3) The area will set you back a pretty penny in food etc - but it is worth it just for the views!
4) There was a REALLY irritating family who kept yelling all the time, and hitting each other with sticks...but that is hardly the campsites fault I suppose!
I would recommend the following things to do:
1) Visit the caves in the surrounding area - there are many to choose from (Blue John mines / Speedwell Cavern / Treak Cave...etc)
2) Walk up Mam Tor, the views are spectacular and there are many easy to find extensions to the walk of varying difficulties, should you fancy venturing further :)
3) Go shopping in Castleton - sure it is pricey...but who doesn't need more gorgeous hand made local jewelery?!
4) Eat your weight in ice-cream and other yummy locally produced food, in the many traditional pubs (often with interesting backgrounds and stories), shops and stalls around the area.
Me and the fella really enjoyed our weekend - and will no doubt be returning very soon :)
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC