We visited Waldorf Astoria during our trip to the Maldives end of June till 10 July 2011. I was one of the best hotels I've stayed at. The staff were helpful and accommodating.
We stayed in the "King Ocean Villas" although a little farther away from the center of all activities on the island we were happy with our choice as these villas are built a little further apart and provide plenty of privacy. The rooms are divided into a sleeping/living area and the washroom/bath ear with a corridor in between. The rooms a relatively spacious however I wouldn't recommend them for more than 2 occupants.The rooms are cleaned twice a day, a complementary fruit bowl and water bottles are placed in the room daily.
Diving & Water sports:
The resort has its own diving and water sports center equipped with motorized and non-motorized water recreational activities. The diving center is staffed by PADI certified instructors and courses are available for diving, snorkeling, wind surfing etc available at a price. We picked up some fins, snorkels and goggles from here and took them back to our villas, all free of charge! Free diving excursions leave every morning.
You can also hire a private boat and go out big game fishing like we did. we caught a sailfish, a huge red snapper, tuna, barracuda and other fish which the captain will allow you to take back and chiefs will prepare it for you for dinner.
Food & Dinning:
The Breakfast buffet is a feast at Waldorf Astoria with plenty of choices to choose from. Traditional continental, Traditional Maldivian, Asian, fresh fruits etc.
Other restaurants around the island presented some good food. Saffron had a 'theme' night almost every night. But we usually have dinner at Medium Rare. We had dinner there once and then walked down the beach all the way back to our villas under the moon light, amazing.
We usually spent lazy afternoons around the pool bar had which offers light snacks and drinks.
In Villa dining was ok for days we didn't feel like getting up and going to a restaurant.
The spa was really good. They had ayurvedic treatments, thai massages, facials, steam baths etc. They also have a small beauty center. You can get free yoga classes every morning/evening or get a private yoga class whenever you feel like it.
On rainy days we went out to the business center and played pool. They had a ping-pong table, xbox, free internet, books and mags. You can also play tennis.
They have a ridiculously priced shop that sells clothes, accessories, gifts etc and a jewelry shop too.
I would definitely recommend visiting Waldorf if you plan on going to the northern atolls however the flight there can be tiring.
Make sure you bring along plenty of strong sunscreen, light clothes, slippers (optional), sun hat, sun glasses, something to read, a underwater camera, and mosquito/bug repellent.
- Also Known As:
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Hotel Haa Aliff Atoll
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Hotel
- Beach Hotel Alifu Atoll
- The Beach Hotel
- Beach House Iruveli Maldives
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the northernmost atoll of the Maldives, Haa Alif, Beach House Iruveli recreates the style and charm of traditional Maldivian hospitality, while seamlessly blending Asian traditions of simplicity and elegance to its overall appeal. The resort offers a level of serenity unsurpassed in the Maldives. Sleek and contemporary, it offers unparalleled luxury to the discerning few. Experience luxury in the inimitable Beach House style - effortlessly chic while maintaining the charm and tradition that is indigenous to the islands. With two additional private islands to escape to near the resort, you are promised a journey of discovery, and an array of delightful opportunities to experience the virgin beauty of Maldives. Take your pick from the beautifully designed contemporary thatched villas, complete with your own private pool and a Villa Host to attend to your every whim. Each villa is a celebration of sleek, contemporary Maldivian architecture, where floor to ceiling doors opening out onto a spacious deck blur the boundaries between the indoors and outdoors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Beach House Iruveli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.