London is known for its nightlife scene and Leeds, though not as active as London, has taken its cue from this popular city. There are a number of bars and clubs in Leeds, and there is an emphasis on highlighting the underground local music popular in the area. Travelers interested in getting the full Leeds experience, especially the part making up the youth culture of the area, should make it a point to check out some of the following places:
- Brudenell Social Club is a place where visitors can hear live local bands. Hidden in Leeds university grounds, very popular with students.
- Cockpit is massively popular with students. Regular alternative club nights and plenty of gigs. Worth a visit for cheap drinks and there aren't many bars hidden under railway bridges these days.
- If you've never been to a pub that's also a boat and is nowhere near a river then Dry Dock is your place. They do fab pub food and there's usually deals on drinks. Tuesdays are probably the busiest night of the week but then they're also the cheapest.
- Joseph’s Well is a live music bar popular with University of Leeds students. A bit of a trek from the city centre, but there are usually good punk gigs etc on here.
- If you fancy somewhere a little bit different Fab Cafe is a good call. Hidden away in plain sight, it's has all sorts of film/tv memorabilia. There's always a cult film on and you can buy retro sweets too.
One of the most popular areas in the city and home to plenty of trendy bars. It's a bit on the expensive side but worth a visit. You can find something to suit pretty much any music taste. Headingley
Home to students from both Leeds Uni and Leeds Met Headingley is a bit of a mixed bag. There are plenty of cheap studenty bars and a few up-market cocktail bars too. The Box
is usually a good call, although it gets ridiculously busy on weekends. Another good place to try is Arcadia
it's a bit small inside but there's a good selection of beers and ciders. In summer, The Original Oak
has a massive beer garden where you can chill out and watch whatever sport happens to be on and tuck into a good bbq.
Detailed information about these and other popular Leeds nightlife spots is available at http://www.geocities.com/leedsguide/c... or http://www.clubwizard.co.uk/leeds/hom... .