Interested in Berlin?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Berlin each week.
Here's some top people watching restaurants in Berlin.
1) The Grand: In an out of the way spot near the Volksbuhn by Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz is the restaurant where Berlin's affluent and international set likes to dine. No sign. No walk-in traffic. Just people in the know who are there for a multi-roomed restaurant serving international contemporary cuisine. Everyone seems to know one another here. It can be expensive (oysters for 5 euro each) or reasonable (A ceasar starter and lamb shank main for 28 euro.) It's worth a trip if you're hankering for exclusivity and a conspicuous consumption experience that's a rarity in Berlin.
2) Borchardt. It's in the style of Balthazar NYC but in Berlin. Plenty of attitude to go along with the scenery.
3) Grill Royal. Down by the river, this glorious steak house is chock full of beautiful people. Politicians and models alike frequent this spot.
4) Pauly Saal: From the team that created Grill Royal, a self proclaimed place where "people here wish they could afford the drinks". (Direct quote from the waiter) Tasty though. More hipster than politico.
5) Katerschmaus. When the cab drops you off you will think you've been abandoned. Walk through a desserted lot, in through what seems to be a bombed out building, into an ummarked door and up three flights of stairs. You open the door and there it is in all it's glory. Wait an hour to be served but enjoy the "only in Berlin ultra hipster" people watching spot. Do NOT be put off by the terrible reviews. Expect terrible service. But the unique clientele and well prepared food (been here twice) make this a must try.
6) Grosz. This feels like being in a set of the Matt Damon movie "The talented Mr Ripley." Picture perfect atmosphere. Smoking (hot) people enjoying predictible mains with harried waitstaff. No one is here for the food.
7) Das Stue: Stop the presses. This hotel/restaurant/bar is over the top. Housed in a former embassy, this place will rock your world no matter what you are interested in. Want fine dining? The restaurant there could be the most inventive in Berlin. Care for a crafted cocktail? They make a tight old fashioned. Or just want to stretch out and enjoy a designer couch? Relax in the spacious lobby area. Something for everyone.
Close but not quite:
8) Katz Orange: Too much of a neighborhood spot but still a striking venue and lots of upscale diners.
9) Solar. More bar than restaurtant, the place is hopping, with spectacular scenery.
10) Soho House. As a private club the restaurant is not open to anyone. But they are a hotel. And if you're in Berlin and stay there so you will be welcome to eat there too. Posh place with simple food and complex drinks. Find a way in if you can.
Enjoy the views!