How to Get There Using Public Transportation
This all may sound very daunting, but it is really not that bad. The Italian people are very friendly and willing to help. And the experience in San Giovanni Rotondo is well worth it.
Train from Napoli to Caserta, then from Caserta to Foggia
- Purchase both tickets at the Napoli terminal the day before you plan to go to San Giovanni Rotondo.
- Be clear that you want to purchase a ticket from Napoli to Caserta and then from Caserta to Foggia . This requires two different tickets.
- When travelling from Napoli to Caserta you are staying within the Campania region. So you need a regional ticket (Unico Campania ). This ticket is good for 160 minutes (2 hrs 40 min) within the Campania Region. You can use this for any departure time for any train that is travelling within the Campania region, but it is only good for 160 minutes from your original departure time.
- When travelling from Caserta to Foggia you are leaving the Campania region, so you need a different kind of ticket. This ticket is good for a specific departure and destination at a specific time.
- For both kinds of tickets you need to get the ticket punched before you get on the train. Look for the yellow box with a slot to insert the ticket. The box should be somewhere on the platform. Insert the ticket and wait until you hear it punched.
Bus from Foggia to San Giovanni Rotondo and back from San Giovanni Rotondo to Foggia
- Once you get to Foggia , most people speak little if any English. So be prepared with the appropriate Italian phrases.
- Purchase these tickets at the Foggia terminal. Once you come off the train you need to go upstairs. Once you get upstairs there is a convenience shop where you can purchase these tickets. This is just a window you walk up to, not a shop you can walk into.
- Just ask for bus tickets to get to San Giovanni Rotondo. This is a common request so they will know what you are asking for. Be sure to be clear that you want a round trip – this will be two tickets. (biglietti di autobus per San Giovanni Rotondo e ritorno, per favore).
- To get to the bus stop go out of the terminal and all the way across the square to the far left corner. The bus you want is a Sita bus. It should say Sita on the side and San Giovanni Rotondo on the sign on the front of the bus. Be aware that several different buses use the same stop and sometimes stop next to each other, so the bus you are looking for may pull up on the other side of another bus from where you are standing.
- People traveling to San Giovanni Rotondo is common, so don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- How to get to the church from the bus goes here.
- How to return from San Giovanni Rotondo goes here.
Bus from Foggia to Napoli
- You’ll probably spend most of your day in San Giovanni Rotondo, so you’ll probably get back to Foggia too late to take the train back to Naples . But there is a regularly scheduled bus that runs from Foggia to Naples.
- This is a single ticket for the trip back to Naples . You purchase the ticket from the bus driver. The bus stops several places on the way, so be sure you tell the driver that your destination is Napoli (biglietti per Napoli , per favore).
- This is not a Sita bus, it is C.L.P. The Sita bus from San Giovanni Rotondo will drop you off at the same place you caught the bus. When you get off the bus and face toward the train terminal, look to the right hand side of the square and you will see a bus waiting area. This is where the bus will stop. There is a sign there with the schedule of the departures.