Interested in Salzburg?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Salzburg each week.
1. Berchtesgarden: Quaint German village an hour south of Salzburg by bus
2. Königssee & Jennerbahn: Emerald Alpine lake at the foot of Jannerbahn Mountain
3. Hallstatt: Authentic Austrian town to the east of Salzburg
4. Munich: only 90 minuted away
5. Werfen: Castle and Ice Cave
If you don't have a lot of time but you want to get to the mountains, you can take the number 28 bus to Untersberg mountain (it goes in the opposite direction to the number 28 to the airport). The bus journey lasts only 20 minutes and the bus terminates at at cable car at the foot of the mountain.
It costs 18 euros for a return trip in the cable car, which takes another 15 or 20 minutes each way. It is the highest mountain in the area and the views are magnificent. You can go for a walk, ski, or just go to the quaint Alpine lodge, which is just outside the cable car terminus at the top of the mountain, for some "gluwine", sausage or beer. This daytrip could be the highlight of your trip - it is beautiful!
If your not claustrophobic- Try the Salt Mines in Hallein., it's very adventorous: http://www.salzwelten.at/en/home/