Interested in Ko Tao?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Ko Tao each week.
You may also be interested in these deals within ten kilometres of Ko Tao:
Koh Tao is a little more difficult to get to than some of the other islands around Thailand. There are several options open to travel here but nothing as easy as a direct flight.
Listing in order of ease/time here are the main options available.
1) Flight to Koh Samui and then ferry to Koh Tao, the most expensive method, but the quickest and easiest. Most of the ferry services from Koh Samui are in the morning. However, there is an additional ferry at 5pm from Nathon pier (Lomprayah) that's not on the website, it goes via Koh Phangan and can be booked at the Lomprayah desk at Koh Samui airport.
2) Flight to Chumphon, then bus to pier then ferry to Koh Tao. Nok Air fly from Don Muang airport in Bangkok. You can buy a combination ticket that covers all aspects of the journey.
3) Flight to Surat Thani, then bus to pier and ferry to Koh Tao. Surat Thani is south of Koh Tao and mainly serves Koh Samui. Due to flight arrival times and the added time of the ferry journey this route takes longer than the other flights mentioned.
4) Bus and ferry from Bangkok to Koh Tao. Lomprayah, offer a coach service that if taken during the day takes around 9 hours to arrive on Koh Tao. It is an air conditioned bus and does offer value for money.
5) Train from Bangkok to Chumphon, then bus and ferry to Koh Tao. This option is mostly used during the night, when sleeper trains offer safe reliable travel whilst not using a day of your holiday up and also saving the cost of one nights accommodation. The following website gives a great deal of information including links to sites where tickets can be purchased. http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm Tickets go onsale 30 days in advance. Total travel time would be around 13 hours.