If you are on a business trip with time to spare or had enough of Disney, there are some things you can do:
- Go to the Cocoa Beach/Merritt Island area and kayak - there are a handful of companies that offer eco-tours of manatee and bird life. In the summer, it it is best to get out there in the morning as weather (storms) is always an issue.
- Turtle hatching season - if you have made reservations well in advance (ie May for June, July or August) this is another awesome adventure near the coast.
- Take a ride in an old airplane (location: Winter Haven, FL) with Waldo Wright's Flying Service. A 15-minute ride can cost $80 (including tax and fuel charge) and the experience is amazing. They are also affiliated with the Fantasy of Flight Museum nearby.
- Crystal River/Homosassa Springs - manatee swimming/snorkling tours. There are a number of companies who do this, and it is well worth the time.
- St. Augustine - the fort is fantastic. (Otherwise, just a lot of shopping...but cuteold downtown.)
- Horseback riding, ziplines also an option around Orlando.