Year round opportunities for fun and relaxation exist on this 34 mile barrior Island. Spring brings great fishing and awsome wind for kiting. Summer holidays see an influx of families to the Island, with Memorial Day weekend kicking off family beach vacations and fireworks on the Bay every Friday night thru Labor Day! Fourth of July is a huge holiday on the Island and includes a beach parade with the largest fireworks display of the year. Other annual events include:
- January / Annual Longest Causeway Run and Wellness Walk where 2500 participants enjoy a view from the Queen Isabella Causeway
- Feruary / SPI Kitefest attracts thousands to the sand flats on the Bay for a 2 day Kite flying extravaganza.
- March brings Spring Break as all Texas Schools break mid March for fun in the sun.
- April / Sand Crab Night time Beach Run is a beautiful site as the entire SPI beach front is lit by thousands of runners and walkers.
- May / SPI Kite Board Round up hosts hundreds of Kiting enthusiasts on both beach and bayside
- June / Sailors from all over come to enjoy the Gulf blue water and excellant sailing such as the Annual Great Texas Catamaran Race
- August / TIFT Texas International Fishing Tournament attracts over 100 anglers for fame and fortune
- September / King of the Causeway Bike Tour and Triathlon sets the pace for fall events
- October / SPI BikeFest - Roar by the Shore happens the second weekend in Oct. and includes venders, live music, bike tours and more!
- October / Sandcastle Days is everyones favorite festival as Master Sand Sculptors build their dreams in Sand - the 3 day event offers live music,
venders, childrens activities and a wonderful amateur competition for
kids and families
- December / An Island Christmas Parade and Lighted Boat Parade makes the holiday spirit sing Islad style.