Kamuela offers many opportunities that harken back to its ranching heydey, primarily among them horseriding in the way of the paniolos -- the Hawaiian term for cowboy.
E Komo Mai Sport Horses
Hawi, Kaauhuhu Road
PO Box 1586, Kapaau, HI 96755
Nancy Steinecke/Trey Pierce
Hours by appointment
- E Komo Mai, Hawaiian for "Come Join Us" offers a 30-acre facility, including everything from a large, covered arena, an open-stadium jumping field, a cross-country track with obstacles
PO Box 2463, Kamuela, HI 96743
Hours by reservation
Ranch rides: 9, 11, 1 and 3
Advanced ride: Anytime between 8-3, 2 person min.
Cattle drive: 4 person min, call in advance as it does not operate daily
- Located on the eastern side of Kamuela, Dahana Ranch offers a true paniolo experience. Explore the natural beauty of the island or herd cattle like a real rancher! Rates range from $60-130, excluding tax.
Paniolo Riding Adventure
Kawaihae, Mile 13.2 Kohala Mountain Road, Highway 250
PO Box 44327, Kawaihae, HI 96743
- Paniolo Riding Adventure offers visitors the chance to wander the island "with the original all terrain vehicle!" Paniolo offers tours of all stripes from beginners to pros, rates range from $96-299, tax included.
67-1435 Mamalahoa Hwy., Kamuela, HI 96743
Located off Hwy 190 in Kamuela
- Parker Ranch was one of the original ranches in Hawai'i, having been founded in 1847, and also one of the largest. It features horseback riding, ATV tours, hunting and a museum and visitor's center.
Darrin Gee's Spirit of Golf
Two locations: Hapuna Golf Course, Big Island Country Club
- PO Box 2308, Kamuela, HI 96743
- Darrin Gee's Spirit of Golf Academy
has a 2
1/2-hour clinic that helps golfers gain focus and relax under pressure,
among other skills. For golfers of all abilities including pure beginners to PGA Tour professionals. Corporate and family clinics as well as private lessons also offered.
- Waikoloa Village Golf Course
P.O. Box 383910, Waikoloa, HI 96738
- Visitors fee is $80 with cart, $65 walking; for Hawaii residents $37 cart, $22 walking.