Here are some of the most popular events in Silver City:
- Chocolate Fantasia - February. Visit participation "Chocolate Stops" inside various
galleries and shops - many decorated for the occasion. A delicious way
to spend a day! mimbresarts.org
- WNMU Great Race Week - April. Held annually for over 4 decades, this week of activities culminates with push car mini-races and competitions at Western New Mexico University. wnmu.edu
- Tour of the Gila Ending the first sunday in May, the Tour of the Gila is one of the most challenging
and iconic bicycle stage races in the U.S., attracting over 600
professional and amateur racers. The race has the feel of European
racing on the winding, narrow mountain roads in the Gila National
- Mr. and Mrs. Golf Tournament - May. Traditional tournament held on the beautiful 18-hole championship golf course. silvercitygolfcourse.com.
- Silver City Blues Festival - Memorial Day Weekend. One of the Southwest's premier FREE Blues Festivals
featuring not only the brightest rising stars of the Blues but classic
respected performers that have toured the world. mimbresarts.org
- Wild, Wild West Pro Rodeo - June. This rodeo features high-flying bull riding, fast
riding, roping and much more. The annual rodeo competition features some
of the nation's toughest cowboys and toughest bulls.
- Independence Day Parade - 4th of July. A classic 4th of July parade winds through downtown Silver
City, followed by music and vendors in Gough Park. Weather permitting
fireworks display at dusk. silvercity.org
- Hummingbird Festival - July. The Hummingbird Festival is a unique opportunity to
catch these beautiful birds in action at the height of the season.
Festivities include guest speakers and live entertainment. silvercitytourism.org
- Silver City Clay Festival - late July/early August. This week long celebration offers exhibits,
fabulous workshops, youth activities, films and all sorts of mud fun!
Also available are free lectures, tours, clay demonstrations and more. clayfestival.com
- Copper County Cruizers Car Show - August. Come stroll down memory lane and enjoy the car show at
no charge. Check out the vendor, refreshments (including brekfast, lunch
and more), raffles, music and special events. coppercountrycruizers.com
- Chicano Music Festival - Labor Day Weekend. The daylong festival features community booths, live
performances, a car and bike show celebrating the project's music
documentary. The film features the history of Grant County area
Chicano musicians. wnmu.edu/chicanomusicproject.
- Rolling Stones Gem and Mineral Show - Labor Day Weekend. One of the Southwest's premier gatherings of
rock hounds, geology enthusiasts and the curious. A fun free family
event with dozens of booths, geologic samples, and vendors galore.
- Taste of Downtown - September. The annual Taste of Downtown Silver City restaurant tour
offers samples from the best of over fifteen of downtown's restaurants
and coffee houses.silvercitymainstreet.org
- Pickamania! - September. Free music festival in Gough Park celebrating the
close of summer featuring bluegrass, folk, Americana, and grass roots
music in the heart of Southwestern New Mexico. mimbresarts.org
- Gila River Festival - September. Celebrating the last, free-flowing river in the
Southwest, this premier nature festival offers attendees a variety of
expert -guided field trips in the Gila National Forest, the Gila River
and in Silver City. gilaconservation.org Red Dot Studio Tours - September. Visit artist studios throughout Silver City and Grant
County and watch the creative process in the working environment. silvercitygalleries.com
- Fort Bayard Days - September. Learn more about Fort Bayard and the settling of the
West. The day includes info on the Buffalo Soldiers, military
re-enactments, Native American history and so much more; ending the day
with the Buckles and Bustles Military Ball.
- Red Hot Children's Fiesta - September. This is the largest child development and resource fair in
southwest New Mexico. Bring your children out for the many free
- Cliff/ Gila Grant County Fair - September. Celebrate the agricultural heritage of this community with
traditional exhibits, livestock competitions, carnival rides, music,
food and more!
- Southwest Festival of the Written Word - September. Writing workshops, readings, panel discussions, a
major southwestern author or two as guest speakers, a funky Friday night
event with some slam poetry, hometown reading, music, stand-up and
performance art, 300-word writing contest and book signings galore! swwordfiesta.org
- Gila Monster Challenge Gran Fondo - October. Cyclists choose one of 4 different lengths of the iconic
final stage of the Tour of the Gila. From 32 miles to 102 miles, this
supported ride takes place int he spectacular beauty of the Gila
National Forest. tourofthegila.com
- Pinos Altos October Fiesta - October. Fiesta organizers promise family fun, live music, great
food, and plenty of vendors offering produce and all types of crafts,
jewelry, antiques, collectibles and homemade items.
- Red Dot Gallery Walk - October. A free celebration of art and artists, with galleries
showing their latest works of art, including lectures, demos, videos,
etc...-any art event you can conceive of.
- Fiber Arts Festival - November, every other year. Vendors of fine fiber art and supplies, special exhibits, classes, workshops, lectures and demos.
- Lighted Christmas Parade - November. The Lighted Christmas parade kicks off the Silver City
holiday season. Lighted floats present a magical treat for children of
all ages. silvercitymainstreet.com
- Tamal Fiesta y Mas - December. Come enjoy our community's rich and diverse heritage. You
can be sure the best traditional and modern tamale recipes will be on
display! Mariachi performances, dancing and family fun for all.