This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Guarantee entry to one of Edinburgh’s top and most popular attractions by buying your Edinburgh Castle admission ticket in advance. On the day, beat queues at the ticket office and maximize your time exploring all that Edinburgh Castle and its grounds have to offer at your own pace, including the National War Museum, the Royal Palace, the Scottish Crown Jewels exhibit, and more.
- StartSee Important Information for details
- 1Edinburgh CastleStop: 3 hours - Admission includedHead straight inside Edinburgh Castle to discover the delights of the city’s magnificent fortress, believed to date back as far as the Iron Age. Dominating Castle Rock, the castle’s prominent position meant that it quickly became an important stronghold, and countless bloody battles and sieges were fought over it. As you walk around independently, read up on some of the more notable battles that Edinburgh Castle witnessed, such as the War of Independence between the Scots and the English in the 14th century. The castle was recaptured from the English in a daring raid under the cover of darkness by the nephew of the great Scot, Robert the Bruce. Where you go inside the castle is up to you, but be sure to visit the beautifully decorated Royal Palace to see where Mary Queen of Scots gave birth to her son. The Scottish Crown Jewels are also found in this part of the castle, along with the intriguing Stone of Destiny — a weathered rock upon which the early Scottish kings were enthroned. Take a walk through Crown Square to see the Great Hall of James IV, explore the prisons that held French and American prisoners during the War of Independence, and pass through St Margaret’s Chapel. Use your ticket to enter the on-site National War Museum, where you can browse a staggering collection of artifacts that document some 400 years of Scottish military history. Highlights include a display of Highland swords and the 19th-century Thin Red Line painting by the acclaimed Scottish artist Robert Gibb. You can spend as long as you want inside the castle, however many visitors find 2–3 hours to be ample. If you want to take a break from sightseeing, visit the Tea Rooms for traditional tea and baked snacks or the self-service Redcoat Café to eat and admire the views. Both are located on the castle grounds. All food and drinks are at your own expense.Read more
- Save time on the day by buying your Edinburgh Castle admission ticket in advance
- Wander around at your own pace instead of following strict tour schedules
- Marvel over the Scottish Crown Jewels and see where Mary Queen of Scots gave birth
- Visit St. Margaret’s Chapel, one of Edinburgh’s oldest buildings
- Entrance fee
- Entry/Admission - Edinburgh Castle
- Guaranteed to skip the lines
- Food and drinks
- Audio guide
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Last entry is 1 hour before closing
- Please go straight to the gates to have your ticket scanned for entry. Please note: any customers who booked prior to 6th September need to go to the Group & Pre-paid ickets kiosk to exchange their voucher for a ticket
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
I Loved Loved Loved !! Such an interesting place! The castle has a lot to offer, besides the beautiful building: it has amazing views over the city, amazing guides, great exhibitions about Scotland (costumes, weapons, jewelry -- you name it!), gift shops and even a whiskey…
Date of experience: May 2020
1 Helpful vote
This was a good day out but I wasn't to keen on the cafe. I didn't like the dungeon but seeing the view from the top was great! Also seeing the special stone which was brought back (as it should be!) to Scotland!
Date of experience: July 2020
3 Helpful votes
Response from ByHistoricScotland, Marketing Coordinator at Edinburgh Castle Entrance Ticket
Responded 27 Nov 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review regarding your recent visit to Edinburgh Castle. We are very sorry to hear that your visit did not fully live up to expectations. We have been working extremely hard to ensure that we can re-open as safely as possible, but as a result of Scottish Government guidelines we are currently unable to re-open all areas of the castle and have had to make necessary changes in our café to ensure it is as safe as possible. We have made every effort to promote this information at the earliest part of the booking stage, recommending that visitors view our website and social media outlets to see updated revised arrangements. We are very sorry if this was not clear and we will continue to review the information available to visitors. Over the next few weeks we will be working to improve the offer at the castle and really value your feedback.
We visited during the restricted period,however this did not impact our enjoyment of our experience at Edinburgh castle.All measures were in place to ensure that visitors and staff alike were kept safe and socially distanced.For history enthusiasts it’s a must and the views…
Date of experience: October 2020
2 Helpful votes
So much history within those walls! Gorgeous views of the city! There was a very well defined one-way-system in place and the staff very polite and friendly.
Date of experience: November 2020
2 Helpful votes
We were fortunate that our last day in Edinburgh coincided with the reopening of the Castle (we went 2nd August), albeit we had to book in advance and in a specified time slot. We arrived well before our time sot but had our suitcases (as it was our last day), for obvious…
Date of experience: August 2020
1 Helpful vote
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Edinburgh Castle
Always a Pleasure
Visiting Edinburgh Castle is always a pleasure. Although this time due to COVID missed so many things but still thi…
I love Edinburgh
Edinburgh castle is a must for any tourist visiting Scotland. So beautiful & breathtaking and lovely
Not great during a pandemic
Amazing tourist attraction with great views over the city but not cheap to enter and not much open during the pande…
Best attraction in the city
As an Edinburgh resident I have the opportunity to visit the castle whenever I want but the truth is I was last the…
Great castle all covid rules adhered to had a good look round, there for the 1 o'clock gun too marvelous views of a…
I visited with the kids who enjoyed running around and exploring but they weren’t interested in the museums of batt…
The one o'clock gun!!
We had a very enjoyable visit, the armour and weaponry in the great hall was very interesting. Then we walked down …
We enjoyed visiting all the rooms at the top of the castle, But on this visit we were there for the one o'clock gu…
The views from the castle were breathtaking I must say. We were quite lucky that the castle was not crowded. We exp…
Quiet and enjoyable
These are not normal times, but staff at the castle have created an enjoyable visitor experience with one-way route…
Having a historic Scotland explorer pass is a fantastic purchase. It allows you entry into SO many amazing location…
If you are looking for views there isn't a better place in Edinburgh. Literally spectacular. The layout is good and…
amazing bulding didn't go inside this time but i would recommend going inside also just standing on the esplanade t…
No audio /tour guides - fails to bring the castle and its history to life
Great view and a must in Edinburgh. Many areas not open due to covid. The castle team could have done more to supp…
Much more than a castle
Arriving two hours before the castle was due to close we had a chat with one of the guides. His information made us…
- Duration: 3h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English, Chinese, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+44 12 2492 8241
Popular: Booked by 5,025 travellers!