Enjoy a full day guided 8-hour tour of Nagano while cycling with your English-speaking tour guide and small group. Immerse yourself in the city's culture, visit major Nagano attractions by cyclying through farm villages, apple orchards, along the Chikuma River, and see the Nagano Olympic Area, Snow Monkey Park, Shibu Onsen and Obuse Town.
Cycle through farm villages, apple orchards, along the Chikuma River, and see the Nagano Olympic Area, Snow Monkey Park, Shibu Onsen and Obuse Town.
• On this tour, spend a full-day getting in touch with both the nature and city daily life of Nagano while cycling with your English-speaking tour guide and small group.
• Begin your journey at 9 AM, where the tour guide will pick you up at your hotel or at Nagano Train Station (if you are coming from Tokyo or another city).
• Start with cycling on high-quality bicycles along the Chikuma River. Journey through apple orchards, rice fields, rustic farming villages and charming ancient avenues, helping you to discover the true unique beauty of Japan.
• This tour will also take you to the world-famous Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, where you will find monkeys bathing in the hot spring and in their natural habitat. After observing the monkeys up close, we will visit Yudanaka and Shibu Onsen villages, which are located at the base of the Jigokudani mountains. These villages have a long history as hot spring resorts, with records of people visiting the onsen as far back as 1300 years ago. People come from far and wide to try the various 100% natural onsen made up of healing minerals. There are 9 outdoor baths that make up the famous hot spring area of Yamanouchi Town, and you can enjoy a regular bath or just a foot bath (optional) before continuing on the cycling tour to Obuse Town. Obuse Town is famous for its chestnuts, with many traditional shops offering delicious chestnut treats and delicacies, as well as being the hometown of famous Edo-period painter, Katsushika Hokusai (known for his various ukiyo-e artworks).
• This tour is ideal if you are looking for a short getaway from busy cities to immerse yourself in the Japanese countryside with stunning natural and rural scenery, and excellent local food. The tour course is approximately 25 km, and 70% of the course is downhill while the rest mainly consists of flat roads. It is a relatively easy course with no prior cycling experience necessary.
Seasonal Recommendations for This Tour:
Spring Cherry Blossom (Sakura) Viewing: Mid-April to Early-May
Summer Green Fields: June to mid-July
Autumn Foliage (Koyo) Viewing: Early-September to Late-November
This scenery is particularly lovely in the Spring, when nanohana (rapeseed blossoms) and sakura (cherry blossoms) bloom, and even in the Summer and Autumn.