Learning how to cook Indonesian food. We will make some of the dishes below. The student can participate as much or as little as she likes. Everything from crushing peppers to making homemade noodles, and fried rice too.
• Fried Rice - A classic Indonesian dish, I will teach you the Makassar, Sulawesi style, which is on the spicy side (but can make it more mild by request).
• Fried Noodles - This dish originated in Java. It’s called Mie Goreng. Besides noodles we add vegetables, meat, shrimp, etc. Can make a vegetarian version.
• Noodle & wonton soup - This dish originated in China but I make an Indonesian version. I buy the wonton wrappers but everything else is made from scratch.
• Pastel - A type of miniature Italian calzone, but with glass noodles, potatoes, carrots, veggies etc. Very yummy.
• Indonesian Crepe - I use pandas leaf to make a green crepe that gets rolled around freshly grated coconut and palm sugar.
• Coconut 1/2 moon cakes - I use freshly grated coconut, eggs, sugar, vanilla and coconut milk to make a type of thick batter and then pour it into a specially shaped pan.