This is the standard ceremony from the point the couple is standing together in front of the minister to when the couple turns toward the gathering and begins recession back down the aisle.
• Welcome: After procession and presentment of bride the congregation is welcomed to the Ceremony.
• Consent: Couple answers questions giving consent to participate in the Rites of Marriage.
• Address: Minister delivers a short communication describing the importance of the vows.
• Prayer (Optional): eg The Lord's Prayer.
• Reading (Optional): eg St Paul's Epistle to the Corinthians defining love.
• Vow Blessing (Optional): Simple spiritual affirmation for the couple.
• Wedding Vows: Couple exchanges vow by repeating after minister.
• Ring History (Optional): Brief history of how the exchange of rings changes through history.
• Ring Blessing: Rings are blessed as to a divine symbol of vows given and received.
• Ring Vows: Couple exchanges rings while repeating vows from minister.
• Wedding Prayer: Final prayer of the ceremony.
• Pronouncement: Couple have pledged the Rites to each other.
• Presentation: Introduction of couple to gathering.
The length of the ceremony is about 25 minutes depending on if a tradition is added, if children are made part of a promise vow, and the number of participants. A simple civil ceremony can take as little as 5 minutes and up to 60 minutes if songs, or special elements are added.