We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scalloway Museum

Closed Now: 11:00 - 16:00
Open today: 11:00 - 16:00
Review Highlights
A revelation.

Howcome the story of the Shetlanders who fought in WW2 is so unknown? This museum tells the story... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
London, United Kingdom
Scalloway Museum

Combine this with a visit to the Shetland Bus Memorial, The Museum coats £3.00 per adult, but the... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Read all 178 reviews
All photos (63)
Full view
Certificate of Excellence
Traveller Overview
  • Excellent69%
  • Very good29%
  • Average1%
  • Poor1%
  • Terrible0%
Travellers talk about
“shetland bus”(91 reviews)
“during wwii”(11 reviews)
Closed Now
Hours Today: 11:00 - 16:00
See all hours
Local Weather
Powered by Weather Underground
Castle Street, Scalloway, Scotland
+44 1595 880734
Reviews (178)
Filter reviews
165 results
Traveller rating
Traveller type
Time of year
More languages
Show reviews that mention
All reviews shetland bus during wwii second world war next door great exhibits well worth a visit local history fishing boats local area detailed information interesting stories norwegian resistance story boards friendly volunteers excellent shop enjoyed our visit brave men
Updating list...
1 - 10 of 165 reviews
Reviewed 1 week ago

Howcome the story of the Shetlanders who fought in WW2 is so unknown? This museum tells the story of the Shetland Boat, a series of boats and an amazing collection of people who fought the Nazis in WW2 by saving Nowegians from shipping and then...More

Thank JillG411
Reviewed 1 week ago

Combine this with a visit to the Shetland Bus Memorial, The Museum coats £3.00 per adult, but the ticket is open for the season, so that you can return for free. The Museum covers the life and times of Scalloway, from being the Main town...More

Thank rphood2004
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is well worth a visit: I knew next to nothing about the "Shetland Bus", and I am now very well-informed. Such bravery and daring by those who took boats to and from Norway during WW2

Thank lornabookworm
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived when one of the cruise ships had dumped their cargo, unfortunate. The museum is really good covering the everything from farming and geology to mans development. I particularly liked the WW2 section and the very interesting displays on the Shetland boat, such brave...More

Thank DGY-Eaglescliffe
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I loved this museum. Lots of interesting exhibits on local life and the Shetland Bus, delightful volunteers running it, and the (free) castle next door was also brilliant.

Thank Wilson B
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A great Museum with some wonderful information and articles, again the layout is good and easy to follow, written and visual information is excellent, covers so much on the history of Scalloway and it's people of yesteryear

Thank 19Di_a_nne
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This tiny place offering nice Museum worth to visit . There are many unique artifacts and stories about culture from Pictik ( Celtic ) through Vikings and WWII there is huge parking place on embankment and our Scalloway is nice clean an tiny place worth...More

Thank mixinsky
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This little museum is packed full of interesting information. I loved the display on knitting. The gift shop had some nice items as well. Worth a stop!

Thank luceenva1
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This appears to be a small museum however it is packed with interesting exhibits - we took just short of 2 hours reading and reviewing everything. Approximately 60% of the museum covers the history of Shetland - people, industry, fishing etc. The other 40% focuses...More

Thank TheAndrews1
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Great museum , extremely well organised , especially the section on the Shetland bus which included a large section in Norwegian

Thank ellekep
View more reviews
Nearby HotelsSee all 14 nearby hotels
Scalloway Hotel
304 reviews
.16 miles away
Herrislea House Hotel
48 reviews
3.54 miles away
The Lerwick Hotel
262 reviews
4.27 miles away
The Shetland Hotel
190 reviews
4.34 miles away
Nearby RestaurantsSee all 62 nearby restaurants
Scalloway Hotel Restaurant
385 reviews
.16 miles away
Fjara Cafe Bar
537 reviews
4.00 miles away
The Cornerstone BB And Restaurant
97 reviews
.09 miles away
Da Haaf Restaurant
52 reviews
.47 miles away
Nearby AttractionsSee all 76 nearby attractions
Betty's Reading Room
7 reviews
2.54 miles away
Shetland Museum and Archives
784 reviews
4.53 miles away
Scalloway Castle
153 reviews
.08 miles away
Questions & Answers
Get quick answers from Scalloway Museum staff and past visitors.
Note: your question will be posted publicly on the Questions & Answers page.
Posting guidelines