Historic Sites • Architectural Buildings
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Amazing interior and exterior to this Castle and Country Park. It was a beautiful day when I visited which helped but I'm sure the ground are incredible any day of the year. Really enjoyed the interiors of the building and the staff were really friendly and helpful, answering questions and chatting through the history of the building.Written 31 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Wow this was an excellent place to visit and do the tour. We found the tour very informative. The restoration of this home is certainly something to be admired. The collection of Chippendale furniture was very impressive. Lots of educational programs are part of the house. Don’t be misled this house is outside Ayr 50 miles from Dumfries.Written 15 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Even in the rain. What a fabulous day with family for my 60th. We done the carting experience and Spencer & Arther, our gorgeous horses. where fantastic as was Bailey our guide. Her knowledge on the breed at 21 was just wonderful. I would recommend everyone to visit as these are a rare breed but are gentle giants.Written 2 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely day out at Dean Castle, guides were great and very informative. A huge let down from the cafe though, surly staff, tepid soup and half cooked toasties, and still not had a reply to my complaint, so I have to assume they're not too bothered about good customer service.Written 2 October 2023
- The museum was informative and engaging with tons of information on Robert Burns and his writing. Lots of interactive bits for kids and adults including many of his poems recorded and recited in Scots. The museum also used Scots in the interpretive panel (with translations) which was a lovely touch.Written 31 October 2023
- Lovely little trip! Our guide (June) was very knowledgable, engaging and really brought the tour to life. She gave great advice about other sites of interest nearby which added to our experience of the area overall. Fantastic cafe and gift shop too.Written 24 November 2023
- This is a fascinating insight into Scotlands ship building industry and the people involved. The staff are very friendly and helpful.Written 24 October 2023
- needs a freshen up. The play park is great and is located next to Pirate Pete's (soft play centre) and overlooks the beach. The play area has lots of equipment and has something for all ages. Ayr is lovely but definitely needs a lick of paint so areas look less neglected. We had the best holiday in Ayr and with a little more love I'm sure it'd attract more holidaymakers!Written 3 September 2023
- Beautiful gardens in a historic setting with a trip up
Into the historic monument. Statue house has Tam o’Shanter and Souter Johnny with an audio track of the poem. Round it off with a trip to the bridge. If you are taking kids walk to the play area at the back of the museum where there are also toilets, a cafe and gift shop. (Museum is overpriced and not worth going in!)Written 30 September 2023
- This a fantastic place to visit. We really loved taking our time to appreciate the exhibits. Then there's the wonderful cafe selling scrumptious food!!!!!!!Written 24 October 2023
- Visited with my mum and sister on a dreary Saturday afternoon. What a fantastic small business created by some truly amazing women! A really interesting talk/history lesson of gin and the magical wee island of Millport. Tasting 4 gins , each very different but all delicious and a souvenir glass all for £20 is fantastic value for money. I would definitely urge anyone (even if you're not a gin drinker) to go and visit.Written 2 November 2023
- A lovely choice of walks for all abilities. Beautiful scenery, We all enjoyed the afternoon out. Definitely recommend for all days (and it's a free day out!)Written 21 August 2023
- A lovely walk around the park area even on a damp drizzly day.
We walked quite a way round enjoying the stunning trees around the park and the various sculptures that are on show.
It was a quiet and peaceful place to walk with a good footpath through the trees.
A nice lawn area for children and families to play on when the weather allows.
There's also a nice tea room and gallery to spend time in too which is a definite bonusWritten 22 September 2023
- We visited Troon for sentimental reasons. My Mother was evacuated here during WWII. I was hoping to see some mention of it somewhere or possibly a museum. But sadly there was nothing. There was however, a spectacular sandy beach. I could picture my Mum there. As a child from the tenements of Glasgow she must have felt like she was on vacation at the seaside. It was too cold to test the waters the day we were there, but we enjoyed the views, the walk, and several hang gliders zipping across the water.Written 12 November 2023
- Large amusement and activities centre based near the beach. Ideal for families with young kids or the young at heart .Written 1 August 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Ayrshire
- The best day trips from Ayrshire according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Culzean Castle & Burns Country Tour from Glasgow Incl Admission
- Culzean Castle, Robert Burns & the Ayrshire Coast
- Robert Burns Tour
- Culzean Castle & Rabbie Burns Day Tour in Luxury MPV from Glasgow
- Full Day Private Hire
Ayrshire Attractions Information