Speciality Museums • Rail Services
Tours near Ripley
Book these experiences to see what the area has to offer.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Unless you're a train enthusiast then it's rather boring in my opinion. Went for the Easter weekend. It wasn't that well organised and very underwhelming. The short train ride to the destination is quite nice but once you get there there's really not much to see of interested at all.Written 7 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Midland Railway Centre is a huge complex to visit with a variety of different things to see and do.
I would recommend paying a visit to the West Shed which is a short walk from the main area. This is where the LMS steam engines are maintained and there are volunteers are happy to welcome you and answer any questions you have.
There are plenty of displays to look at and if you are lucky there may be a steam engine there to admire too.Written 13 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We have had a massive clear out and took it along to this car boot. Really pleased with what we made and the staff were really helpful. Had a great day but spent most of our profits on other stuff. Enjoyed the morning plus sun was shining!Written 21 July 2018This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful church standing back from a busy road but a peaceful place to sit and relax when you need a break from shopping.Written 25 March 2019
- This remembrance column unlike a lot of others is well maintained and only a few yards from the market place and town square
There are hundreds of local names
Enscibed on the on this obelisk
No only remembers the two great wars but all the small wars we under took in the name of freedom
Korea Iraq Afghanistan and others
The column is set in lovely church grounds well with a visit for contemplationWritten 7 May 2019
- I last visited the Midland Railway Centre 7 years ago so it was good to go and visit again. If you use google it will take you to Butterley station where there is free parking.
There is a gift shop here with a variety of thing to buy depending on your age and pocket size.
There are trains running and when I visited there was a class 142 (nodding donkey) unit running along the line.
You can get off at Swanwick Junction which is the main area of restoration. There are plenty of things to see including the West Shed which is where the LMS steam engines are maintained as well as the diesel shed and the Golden Valley railway which is a nice little miniature railway running down the valley.
If you like railways it's certainly worth checking out.Written 13 October 2022
- Welcoming ale house with good selection of real ales and ciders. Locals very friendly and real ales well kept so enjoyed a Saturday afternoon chatting and meeting all manner of dogs (and their owners)! Sort of pub where can stay for a session and try lots of different ales, all at reasonable prices!Written 7 August 2023
- This place was probably great when it first opened but it is quite small and does not have the features that most playcentres now have.-you soon see it all and overall ready for a revamp. Staff ok and it hosts some additional clubsWritten 2 February 2020
- We met up with friends here for NYE pre-curry drinks and enjoyed good beer, served efficiently by friendly staff and at a reasonable price. Plenty of parking outside the pub if you need it and 5 mins walk from at least four decent curry houses. What more do you need?Written 2 January 2020
- Visited ester day with partner. Cheap pints, free pool Tues and Thursday, clean, live sports. A good all rounder for a cheap night out. Only things to improve... They don't serve food or accept card payments.Written 3 October 2018
- Excellent public house with entertainment offered on a regular basis
Friendly and welcoming good to visitWritten 11 December 2018
- Very nice place to visit. We were able to take our dog on the train which was nice as we were able to walk him round the country park. Lots to see for train enthusiasts. Unfortunately café and shop shut at Swanwick so no where to get a drink or anything to eat, which was a shame as we visited over lunch time. I have never been a scout so was not prepared. Train ride was good fun.Written 8 September 2014
- Not a welcoming atmosphere, you're definitely ''in or out'' with the landlord who comes across as arrogant and unfriendly, unless you already know him from his childhood and then he will talk about himself loudly. Not very clean. Expensive ales.Written 9 February 2022
Ripley Attractions Information