Historic Sites • Points of Interest & Landmarks
Popular things to do
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Gaynor gave us a real insight into the history of the Cathedral as well as some fun facts about it. An excellent guide!Written 1 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- looks small from the outside but don't be decieved. Large inside. Fantastic selection of exhibits from hundreds of years of history. Friendly and very knowledable staffWritten 28 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fabulous tour of the college by Pippa she was so knowledgeable and interesting I wanted the tour to last another hour at least!Written 27 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- One of the few places where you really feel that you have stepped into the past. the buildings survive in their original appearance - th great ahll still has its central fire and no chimney. I watched the residents pass me in their gowns on the way to morning prayer and joined them. The minister thanked me for taking part. the church is enormous for such a small community and the setting is a delight next to the river - a two mile walk from the city centre along a good footpath suitable for Wheelchairs - LOADs of folk make the walk, evening, morning or afternoon. And for free you can partake of a piece of bread and a drink of small beer as pilgrims have done for centuries!Written 17 November 2023
- Stands right on the main street over the river that pours noisily under a bridge. A WORKING mill - though currently trying to replace some of its ancient mechanism. There is a small garden at the back between the mill races. I arrived very late and was made so welcome. All my questions answered and a quick dive round and a chat to three charming French ladies having coffee. Like a dip into medieval Winchester at the heart of the modern city!Written 17 November 2023
- Fantastic visit, so interesting, if you have an hour, the guide really brought the history to life, a great start to a Winchester stayWritten 27 November 2023
- We went as a large group with a 3 and 1 year old.
It was a November day, so the park was quiet.
We were in no hurry and took our time wandering round.
We did not get round everything as the park closed at 4pm.
The cafe in the gift shop had closed by 3.40 when we went to the gift shop, which was a shame as we all would have had a coffee for the walk back to the car.
The keeper in the tropical House was really friendly and even showed us videos of Santos the sloth as he was still in bed!!
We stopped for ice cream and was delighted to discover dairy free/vegan for my son in law who often has to miss out on a sweet treat!
We have been visiting since my daughter was small and it was nice to bring my grandson for his first visit.Written 9 November 2023
- fantastic museum charting the history of these amazing and brave soldiers. Highly recommend. Didn't know how many conflicts these gentlemen had fought for the British until coming hereWritten 28 October 2023
- Since I moved to Hampshire from London I have been walking the South Downs Way in small pieces. I also am an Airbnb host so lots of my guests are also on walking holidays. It covers some absolutely breathtaking countryside with wonderful panoramic views and there are plenty of charming villages and pubs along the way. You quite often get sea views but also a great variety of ancient woodland and wildlife. Definitely want my ashes scattered here when I go!Written 23 February 2023
- we came to listen to the 50th anniversary Dark side of the moon experience with the amazing planetarium filming. Very comfy seats which was fab. A seriously lacking in anything much to eat or drink at the cafe enjoyed waiting by looking at some of the exhibits. most button press interaction working but several were not. We paid 20.00 per ticket for the event in the evening. Judging by the normal admission charges for a day trip, id say it was extortionate However our evening showing was worth every pennyWritten 30 October 2023
- I must admit, I didn't know this castle was here and what a surprise it was too.
Walking upto the entrance is nothing special and we thought, nothing really to see here but it was glorious once inside.
The ruins are fantastic and in a great location by the river in Winchester.
If you have mobility issues, this could be a problem as there are a lot of stones and steps to maneuver.
It is definitely worth a visit and the entrance is free 🙂Written 17 September 2023
- So helpful - gave us a map and asked what sort of things we wanted to see; marked it up and made various suggestions.Written 22 November 2023
- Three of us walked here today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very windy today but clear and wonderful views across to Isle of Wight and all around.
Good parking area and signage and boards with information.
Great wildlife too- red kites and buzzards flying overhead and skylarks nesting on the ground too.Written 22 May 2023
- we parked at the park and ride via the handlebar cafe then walked to the hill was a bit of a climb but the views were great and could see for miles!. we then walked into winchester past st cross and the river. walked around there and the cathedral for evensong .and caught the park and ride bus back. a very enjoyable day!Written 12 July 2023
- I started form Winchester city center to Southampton port . Total 33 miles took me 6 hours to complete. The walking contain very narrow footpaths better to prepare. You will need a navigation GPS on your phone with wifi in order not to get lost .Written 14 September 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Winchester
- The best day trips from Winchester according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Full Day Private Shore Tour in Winchester from Southampton Port
- Pre/Post cruise from Southampton: Winchester & Salisbury
- Winchester Day Tour by First Class Train
- Windsor,Stonehenge & Winchester Luxurious Executive Vehicle Private Tour
- Winchester, Stonehenge & Salisbury Independent Full Day Private Tour
Winchester Attractions Information