Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- The BEST farm my family have ever visited. We made the trip to Dumfries from Hampshire, specifically to visit the farm we’ve been following on Facebook. Our kids loved all the play areas, which are always totally immaculate. The animals are loved and well cared for by the staff, who are so friendly and helpful (my mum uses a walker and the staff ensured she was able to get up the hill to see the animals). They make you feel welcome. The food is gorgeous. Just everything about the farm is perfect!!! I’ve never been to a farm that is as clean as Dalscone is! We can’t wait for our trip back in April next year when we will be making 2 trips to the farm. My mum wishes to spend her 70th birthday at the farm we all adore.Written 21 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An absolute must, a photographers dream. Very easy to walk around with explanation boards along the way. We visited the castle in the rain but it did not detract from the picturesque setting. Easy parking with a gift shop and toilets. Certainly recommend a visit for all lovers of castles.Written 6 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Wow what a fantastic place to visit and to see the amazing achievements of the owners
The visitor centre and coffee shop are superb
We had the most amazing Scottish breakfast
If you like historic buildings , good food and award winning Whiskey this place is a mustWritten 3 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Neil and Janet where great guides the trailer was set up amazingly and the ride was really smooth for having been up over moorland, it was amazing getting to see the coos out on the land and being given all the information during the tour. Stunning treat after to warm us all up with a little afternoon tea with all diets catered for. Couldn't recommend this enough will definitely be backWritten 3 December 2023
- Very interesting and informative and well laid out. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The food and drinks in the cafe were great and reasonably priced.Written 9 November 2023
- Wasn’t on our coach trip itinerary so our impromptu stop ticked off a place on my bucket list!
Several shops over a small area. Plenty of photo opportunities. Shops are very expensive, so be aware of that.
Lovely clean toilets and cafe.Written 13 November 2023
- On entering the reception the staff were very friendly and welcoming, Richard was the tour guide and was really knowledgeable and made the tour most enjoyable with his humour and anecdotes.
we finished off with a few drams... what more could you want on a distillery tour. well worth a visit.Written 7 November 2023
- Our 2 year old loved all the different animals - there are loads!
Also lots to keep her busy - she especially loved the trampoline thing on the ground 😂
Indoor and outdoor play parks were enjoyable also - she wasn’t quite old enough for other activities but we would certainly visit again if we happen to be in area in future!!Written 19 October 2023
- We visited when the house was not open
The grounds and gardens are beautiful
Cafe good but staff a little slow
Walled garden is lovely
Well worth a visitWritten 15 September 2023
- We visited on a rather damp day, but the garden lifted our spirits. It is very sheltered which allows them to grow a wide selection on both tender and hardy plants. If you are out this way it's well worth a visit. The excellent coffee shop is a bonus.Written 11 October 2023
- We came here early November, for our honeymoon, late in the year and late in life. From our arrival to departure we had a most comfortable stay in A1 quality accommodation, with our West Highland Terrier. The apartment was warm, well equipped and above all QUIET! Yes, there were a few jobs going on outside during the short hours of daylight, but everybody was so courteous and polite. The walks around the estate woodland or the many lawned areas are terrific. We were blessed with good weather, with a few white, frosty days. Dumfries is a lovely county with some wonderful road trips and villages close by. But no need to go too far. The village of Thornhill has all that one needs: a fabulous butcher, bakers and hotel in the Buccleugh & Queensberry, reviewed elsewhere.
We are booked in for Autumn of next year and can't wait.
Thank you! Great stay. We had a few spare days at the end of the week and the apartment wasn't booked, so we stayed on at favourable rates.Written 15 November 2023
- Fascinating and tranquil place to be and a very friendly, knowledgeable host. One of my favourite holiday experiences in a long time 😊Written 21 October 2023
- Excellent 2.5 hour walk to Loch Skeen and back, via Grey Mare's Tail. Simply stunning scenery. Steep to start off and then levels out, so not too difficult.Written 16 October 2023
- Home life and creative inspirations of a noted artist provided in his home and studio. Coupled with an amazing intricate garden.Written 7 October 2023
- Wonderful place to visit for a few hours. It gets 5 stars purely for the enthusiasm of the volunteers and the history of the place. Also the RSPB visitor centre run by Teddy was very enjoyable.Written 30 October 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Dumfries and Galloway
Dumfries and Galloway Attractions Information