Popular things to do
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- A free self guided tour that offered free samples at the end. We enjoyed it. The people that work there are really friendly and helpful. They have other snacks for purchase, which were delicious. We walked there from the cruise port.Written 30 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A really cool experience. I imagine it will be extremely busy in summer, but in October it was great - still the busiest place we visited on the island, but plenty of space nonetheless.
Beautiful scenery, impressive waves against the coast and this lovely little bay with incredibly warm water. The waves were tempered and there are ropes to hang on to for the swell. Small pebbles of pumice floating on the surface.
Had a lovely half hour dip, then explored some rock pools. Great fun!Written 27 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My husband and I quite enjoyed walking through this very lovely garden with all of its very impressive and unique trees and their earth-hugging roots, lovely flowers especially but not limited to the spectacular and colourful hydrangea shrubs, freely roaming animals including rabbits, ducks and hens, and of course the ponds! Their outdoor coffee shop was also quite an unexpected surprise. Their breakfasts and lunches were simply incredible as well as being very freshly made and quite healthy.Written 23 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- You will see these arches as you enter the downtown area from either the port of one of the hotel districts. They are somewhat iconic and thus worth a look. Nice lighting at night.Written 25 September 2023
- The exterior is rather unremarkable, but the inside is exquisite. I think the interior is the most beautiful in Ponta Delgada.Written 19 September 2023
- Add this stop to your visit to San Miguel Island! What a hidden gem of an experience.
Thank you to our knowledgeable guide Victor for taking us around the 3 acre farm to teach us all about plants/fruits grown on the farm (got to taste some too) and to introduce us to the farm friends. Part of the experience included milking a cow, as well as ending with a snack of homemade biscuits, jams, and fruit liquors.
Located in the nearby town of Relva about 10-15 minutes outside of Ponta Delgada. We took the local bus there and back (route C200 or C206) at a cost of 1.11€ per ticket. According to our hotel, a taxi would be about 10€ from downtown Ponta Delgada.
10/10 would recommend this experience when you're on the island. Would recommend having your hotel give them a call in advance and help book a reservation for a tour. They do two tours each day, available in English and Portuguese but tours are generally subject to good weather.Written 24 November 2023
- Imagine, if you dare, walking through into a coal dark cavern made of ancient basalt. You’re safe to explore because an intrepid guide is there to show you the way, a guide who has lit your path, so you don’t stumble. You are boldly going where several people have gone before, but it will be new to you, won’t it? So, if you are brave or if you are simply curious, spend a rainy day on Sao Miguel visiting Gruta do Carvao.
Located in Ponta Delgada just north of the R1-1A, Gruata do Carvao (Coal Cave) is a lava tunnel you can tour one of two ways. The most family friendly tour is a 40–45-minute tour of the cave and is a good introduction to lava tunnels. The tour required only good sturdy shoes and a jacket to keep dripping water off. Hard helmets are provided, and you can bring a camera. The guides are well versed in the biology and geology associated with the lava tunnel and seem passionate about the environmental impact of humans on the cave. This standard tour departs several times a day, descending down into the earth from reception, which is located in an unassuming building. The tour is very reasonably priced but tends to book up quickly, so call ahead to make sure they have space for you.
The second option has very limited ability and needs to be booked well in advance because it goes more deeply into the tunnel system and requires an advanced guide. This second option is described as lasting 2+ hours, navigating tight spaces where you may need more specialized clothing and gear. You will be crawling occasionally, so it is not well suited to anyone who has issues with tight spaces. I didn’t take the advanced tour––but based on my experience with the standard tour, I would if timing worked out.
Know before you go, that street parking is available, but you are right next to a walled pasture. Don’t block the farmer’s gate. Remember to call ahead for availability and wear sturdy flat-soled shoes like a trainer or hiking boot because caves have uneven, slippery floors––dress shoes and heels aren’t allowed. The staff were also polite and helpful with suggestions for other rainy-day activities on Sao Miguel.Written 14 May 2023
- very nice to take a look in the greenhouses, the visit is free. At the end you can taste some delicious jam a liquervery nice to take a look in the greenhouses, the visit is free. At the end you can taste a free liqueur and pineapple jam, this jam is heavenly. I bought this too, and we also ordered a delicious lunch. In the shop / restaurant you can buy various things and eat and drink. Parking is on their own property.Written 23 November 2023
- Very nice church with a beautiful interior ... pictures are officially not allowed inside the church, but ... The church lights up at night.Written 27 September 2023
- What a fantastic place, staff are knowledgeable and more than happy to give you more information or just show you around. The entire experience is built upon the level of interest you show and nothing was too much trouble. Absolutely a must do, doesn’t take long but lots of really interesting history to learn about!Written 30 September 2023
- Loved it. Cool mix of natural history and ecclesiastical history. Great for kids/families-don’t miss the sperm whale skeleton and taxidermy!Written 27 November 2023
- We got to drive in a jeep around the top. A unique experience with greenzone tours. Great half day tour with Eddie. We stopped at the historic aqua duct on the way up too.Written 10 April 2023
- I combined three hiking trails for a total of 30km and covered a large part of the seven cities area.
I could say that this viewpoint was the least special part of the tour. The views of this lagoon are impressive.Written 29 May 2023
- The Fort of São Brás dates from the late 16th century. Inside is a military museum, which had exhibits on the Colonial Wars (1961-75) and the islands' role in World War II. It is worth visiting.Written 19 September 2023
- The best way I can describe this park is that it's like a campground without the camping. It's a huge forest area with lots of trails and cleared out areas with tables and grill pits. Come early to claim an area for your family and spend the day. You take turns using the grills with the other park visitors. There are bathrooms, but bring your own toilet paper, soap, and paper towels. Relatively hilly terrain, but it's well-trodden. We had a toddler in a stroller and it was pretty easy to wheel him in and out, but it looked like there were area we didn't go that were more difficult. Overall a great way to spend a day!Written 18 July 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Ponta Delgada
- The best day trips from Ponta Delgada according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- São Miguel West Full Day Tour with Setes Cidades Including Lunch
- São Miguel East Full Day Tour with Furnas Including Lunch
- Jeep Tour Full Day Sete Cidades & Lagoa do Fogo with lunch and drinks included.
- Hidden Gems of Sao Miguel Island Full Day Tour with Lunch
- Full Day Jeep Tour Furnas with lunch (Cozido) and drinks included
Ponta Delgada Attractions Information