Popular things to do
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- For a personal collection it was amazing, the age, variety and sheer number in a stunning picturesque location.Written 8 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We went to South Africa for our 25th anniversary and were lucky enough to stay at Boschendal for the night of our anniversary. We stayed in the Retreat Cottages and it was delightful, the view of the cannas and the mountains in the distance is absolutely stunning. The gardens are beautiful, and the breakfast area was fabulous.
The team at reception very kindly gave us a bottle of wine on arrival and another bottle of MCC as it was our anniversary. The women on reception were just lovely! And we enjoyed them in front of the fire!Written 30 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A drive of 30’ give you sight on the franschoek area from high above … amazing views
Worthwhile a detour sering this
GreatWritten 3 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had a lovely brunch at the bakery and then had a real nice wine tasting experience at La Motte. Nice staff and wonderful viewsWritten 24 October 2023
- Lovely welcome to this fantastic small family wine farm. All the staff were very welcoming especially Caleb. Choose the wine tasting and cheese and fruit platter which was so good! We asked where the cheese was made so that’s tomorrow’s day out sorted. The wines were all really good. Bought 6 bottles and some fresh peaches for breakfast. We will visit again for some wine and that cheese and fruit platter. As well as the lovely cheese and wine the views were pretty spectacular too from under the shade of the oak tree.Written 1 December 2023
- Highly recommended! Unique scenery with a beautiful selection of wines. The personnel was very kind. A special thanks to Theswill who knows a lot about the wines and made it a pleasant experience.Written 1 December 2023
- Best Stop on the wine tram.Great wine and amazing brownies Shout out to Andrew - he was so wonderful. Scenery is fantastic!Written 3 November 2023
- On the recommendation of friends we made an appointment for tasting and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The gardens are charming and the staff very knowledgeable. We also enjoyed looking at the old homestead roomsWritten 1 November 2023
- Grande Provence Wine Estate has over a 325-year history. Nestled in the beautiful Franschhoek Valley in South Africa’s Western Cape, there are lush vines spread across 47 acres. Rolling vistas frame the valley floor and heighten the drama of the rugged mountains beyond. This is heartland South African Wine Country at its very finest. I enjoyed their Angels Tears Tasting which was, AT Sauvignon Blanc, AT Muscat, AT Rosé, AT Merlot/Cab Red Blend, and a Nougat Pairing.Written 19 September 2023
- Called here on the Wine Tram (Orange Line) on a beautiful day. Had coffee followed by lunch (lovely pasta in ragu sauce) and then decided to stay for a wine tasting when we saw the terrace overlooking the winery with the mountains as a backdrop. Stunning. The wine wasn’t bad either!Written 22 November 2023
- Mussa, our Tuk Tuk driver recommended we visit Dieu Donne Vineyards and it did not disappoint. We tasted 5 wines from their Premium range and loved every varietal. Sabrina was pouring the wine, she was very friendly and knowledgeable. We live in California and go to Paso Robles and Napa often so tasting wine that we believed was comparable to a Napa wine was a wonderful surprise. We wanted to ship a case or 2 home but unfortunately the cost was prohibitive. I would highly recommend visiting this winery!Written 22 September 2023
- Surrounded by amazing fragrances & in good company is an amazing experience. One can't help but feel special when walking out. And all i did was to accompany my friend but yet felt part of it as well. Service is amazing and friendly! Daniela really went out of her way to help my best friend with the perfect Christmas gift. It's hard to leave such a tranquil place while being surrounded by an amazing environment both inside and outside sipping aromatic coffee and eating a delicious cupcake to end off the perfect experience. Would very much recommend this to all my friends.Written 8 October 2023
- We visited the place in august and it was not the harvesting season.
While we did not get to see the green plantations, we did get to do their vine blending experience which was quite fun as we got to make our customised wines. They would still taste the same, but a good experience.
Would have done the tasting as well, if we did not have to drive back to Cape Town.
Some things to keep in mind, they serve a lot of wine with any of their experiences so it is a good day to get drunk. The prices are very reasonable.Written 19 August 2023
- Recap >> Beautifully set on the top of Franschhoek valley, this lovely corner worth seeing and give it a try. Bear in mind to go after checking the weather forecast unless you keen to spend time in the cavey and dark tasting room. The outside-terraced-view-restaurant & balcony offer its best in fact. Booking highly recommended in winter too.
Story >> Went for a trip to Franschhoek in mid-August, lovely sunny warm day, perfect for bubbly hence we didn’t go with their reds, next come in will give a try definitely. Took bottle of Brut speaking of which, amongst the best MCCs in South Africa so far. We had a lovely chat with company rep, friendly and welcoming, she offered us a sip of their sparkling rosé. In general, if was not for this higher in grade (we assume a manager / supervisor helping out staff) arranging and accommodating clients & tables out, the service appeared lazy and superficial with workers busy ignoring clients like insects. And was not crowded day at all. Guess summer must be nuts. Besides, we didn’t really get why bottle at the factory costs more than in a shop in Cape Town. Restaurant menu questionable for a matter of variety and combo with wines.
Debrief >> German ownership, family business which went big. Impeccable presentation of product, attention to detail, cleanliness. All good but missing some vibes, South Africa at Haute Cabrière hard to feel. It’s more like a German wine farm set in a South African corner. It’s cold there even when it’s 40 degrees outside. Missing some local touch, in a few words too much of shareholders’ too less of locals’.Written 2 September 2022
- A small but very informative museum that takes us back to where it all went sour for the huguenots and how they ended up in South Africa. Extremely dark chapter in french history for sureWritten 24 October 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Franschhoek
- The best outdoor activities in Franschhoek according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Franschhoek on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Franschhoek according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Wine tour to Stellenbosch & Franschhoek • incl tastings & lunch
- Wine Tour: Paarl, Franschhoek & Stellenbosch incl 3 wineries
- Full-Day Franschhoek Hop On Hop Off Wine Tram Tour from Cape Town
- Stellenbosch and Franschhoek 20 Wine Tasting & Lunch & Tasting Fees Shared Tour
- Private Tour of Top 5 Stellenbosch Wineries From Cape Town
Franschhoek Attractions Information