Popular things to do
- Wine Tastings
- Top Picks
- Wineries & Vineyards
- Day Trips & Excursions
- Cultural & Theme Tours
- Full-day Tours
- Ports of Call Tours
- Private & Custom Tours
- Multi-day Tours
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Sporting Events
- Special Offers
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Walking Tours
- Likely to Sell Out
- Bus Services
- Weddings & Honeymoons
Top Attractions in Somerset West
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- With the exception of 2021, we have been coming to South Africa now for 11 years and our very first port of call on every occasion is Vergelegen and The Stables Restaurant
It is a stunningly beautiful place to visit and there is little doubt that since we were last there in March 2020, there have been some major changes, all for the better I might add, under the guidance of Wayne Coetzer, the new Managing Director.
It is truly hard to fault the experience of a visit here and this time we were accompanied by our own kids and grandkids and they became as bewitched by the place as we have always been! In fact the last place they wanted to visit before their return home was Vergelegen.
You run out of superlatives but I have to give special mention to the staff in Stables Restaurant who are always so warm and friendly. Particular mention to Glen and lovely Nourane who welcome us everytime like long lost friends.
Vergelegen will always remain the first and last place we visit on our annual trip to South Africa and we look forward to 2023 in anticipation of what further changes have been made.
If I was to highlight any disappointment by the way, it would be being unable to attend this year's RMB Starlight Classic due to Covid and the reduced guest numbers who are by invite only! This is such a wonderful event to attend and missing it two years in a row is a bitter blow.
Keep up the great work Mr Coetzer and team and continue to make this the most awesome place to visit.Written 28 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A beautiful place for hikers, bird lovers and anyone who wants to melt away into nature. Very clean and the routes are well marked. A great family outing.Written 25 October 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a great visit here. We paid the entrance (10 Rand each) and to go in to see the cubs (200 Rand each) - we weren’t expecting to have to pay cash as they don’t take cards of any description. This is quite shortsighted in this day and age - apparently it is the decision of the owner. Lots of people were complaining because a lot of tourists don’t carry cash plus as the staff at the centre said, having a lot of cash is a security risk.
Anyway money aside, it was a lovely centre and all the cats were in nice habitat. However it is very hot as there is not a lot of shade in the main animal area. We had a reasonable amount of time in with the cheetah cubs and I got to stroke two of the five. My husband was there more for photos than the stroking of the cubs but one of the Colin said she’d film me on my video camera. But every time I looked up she was chatting and not videoing me so I had to get my husband to take over as well as taking photos.
It was lovely to get up so close to them and they were very tame. They were obviously happy and well looked after.
There are some other animals and cats there - caracal, serval cat, dog, mongoose. There is also a nice gift shop but again only took cash. All the inside areas were very hot.Written 11 March 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Wonderful wine tasting. Very knowledgable guide through the wines.
Then had a beautiful and very tasty lunch, in beautiful settings.
Well worth a visit if you are in the area.Written 15 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Brilliant wine tasting and food experience with outstanding views.
What a treat Waterkloof was. The tasting room is sublimely decorated and the view from the deck was excellent. We each had the very reasonably priced 6 wine tasting menu with a shared platter which all came to a little on R450.
Our server, Kudzai was outstanding. She was the perfect blend of attentive without being annoying. She seemed to appear with a fresh bottle at exactly the right time. She is an absolute assetWritten 22 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Awesome place for couples or a family outing. Great vibe, beautiful gardens and statues and delicious food.Written 10 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Aphiwe served us and her service ensured that our visit was top notch, so much so that we left with bottles of wine and will be ordering more online. Beautiful wine, beautiful views and wonderful service. Vibes all the way.Written 14 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Most of the monkeys at Monkey Town come from people who once owned them as pets, and the owners no longer wanted them, thus they are in Monkey town as they are unable to look after themselves in the wild. They encourage people to stand up and say not to monkeys as pets, and seem to really care about them.
Most monkeys roam around freely, while we walk through an enclosed walk way. There are some in smaller enclosures due to those monkeys either not getting along with others or they used to being an only “pet”, or various other reasons. While I do not like seeing animals in enclosures I understand Monkey Town tries to rehabilitate and look after those that cannot return to the wild.
We paid R100 to enter, and would definitely recommend people visit as the facilities seem to need some TLC and by visiting it could help them raise funds to improve the facilities. They accept donations as well. There is also interaction with squirrel monkeys at an additional cost of R80. I however did not do this.
There is also a water park next to it which people can enjoy at an additional cost.Written 28 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A complete must! This was the best surprise as we had been recommended to book a pic-nic but did not know what it entailed or what to expect. I do not want to spoil the surprise so my advice is...just book! But do it early! You will not be disappointed> A huge thank you to Moses for making the whole experience even better!Written 30 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Awesome wine and great service! Hidden gem but worth the money and time. Selection for every taste. Out of the way but go thereWritten 22 September 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We visited Blue Rock one sunny Spring morning and it turned out to be such a lovely day with the kids. Although the quarry is extremely deep and I was often concerned about any of the kids going in too deep due to the lack of lifeguards on-site, there is a small section with shallow water for the kids to splash around in and relax on the boardwalk. The kids constantly asked to go into the deeper end with floaties, but we were just not comfortable with that, and will probably never be until lifeguards are employed someday. We did make it up to them though with the best pizza from the on-site restaurant with great views of people cable waterskiing.
It's a teen's dream with volleyball net, waterskiing, wakeboarding, and ziplining. There is a playground and huge sandpit for the little ones but I suggest a shade over this area and other areas of the park for those hot unbearable days. It's a lovely place with big potential if security is upped and more shaded areas added. We'll probably be back sometime in the future.
Be safe out there travelers,
TravelingcubzWritten 24 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- When I did my very first wine tasting at Onderkloof with a friend, I was suprised at not only the diversity of wines this boutique cellar has to offer, but also the quality. Spectacular Helderberg’s ocean and mountain views offer the perfect backdrop for a relaxing and informative wine tasting.Written 2 February 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We passed the gallery on our way to the Friday eve market. What a delightful detour! Variety of art, to fit various tastes in art. I will always pop in here when I am at Lourensford, and enjoy the art on display.Written 22 March 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Tucked away in a beautiful setting in Somerset West, 20 minutes from Cape Town Airport is this weekly shoppers paradise. Meet the farmers, local artisans,crafters with great food, craft beer and boutique winesWritten 13 April 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Somerset West
- The best day trips from Somerset West according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Private Full-Day Stellenbosch Wine Tour
- Cheetah Outreach and Cape Winelands Tour.
- Cheetah Outreach Tour Somerset West, Gordon's Bay and Strand Beaches
- Full Day Private Cape Winelands and Cheetah Outreach
- Shared: Cape Winelands, Cheetah Outreach & Kisternbosch Botanical Gardens Tour,