In this review I wont bother you with skyscrapers top viewpoints as everybody knows they're great, but they're costing some 30-40 bucks per person.
I give you my list of totally FREE viewpoints from where you can enjoy the NYC skyline I managed to visit during my 3 visits over the years to this fabulous city.
Ranking is based on geographical position, NOT on the beauty of the view, starting from east, over south to western viewpoints.
1. Pepsi Cola sign - terrific midtown views
2. Gantry Plaza park - very similar, little bit south
3. Domino Park - views between midtown and downtown
4. Dumbo and Brooklyn bridge park - excellent lower Manhattan views
5. WALK over the Brooklyn bridge from Brooklyn towards Manhattan
6. Staten island ferry - excellent views of the southern Manhattan (same views as from Liberty statue ferry, but Staten island ferry is free),
7. Empty sky Memorial - great south Manhattan views from Jersey side
8. Maxwell Park on the Jersey side