Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- The beach is outstanding, white beautiful sands,very clean, dog loved it,not busy,car parking close by! Water very clear!Written 16 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Excellent ferry service and good value. Easy to book online and easy to join ferry on arrival at the ferry terminal. Well managed and organised.Written 30 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Finding ourselves with two hours to kill before our booking for supper in Mallaig, we decided to have a look at Loch Morar - the deepest loch in Scotland. There is only one single track public road giving access to the loch which is on the North side and extends to just under a quarter of the length of the loch. Beyond this is a vehicular track not open to the public for vehicles, but available for bikes and walkers, and this leads to Swordland, approximately half way along the North side, from which a short trek North takes you to Tarbet on Loch Nevis and a ferry back to Mallaig, which is awesome in itself. At the Easterly end of the public tarmac road there is a very small car park giving access to the track. Our trip however was limited for time, and we were in a car, but we thoroughly enjoyed it - breathtaking views despite it being a murky day, and places to stop lochside to walk along beaches. Definitely recommended, and I'd imagine the walk or bike ride to Tarbet for the ferry back (check times!) would be awesome.Written 28 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Short walk, great way to discover the view around Mallaig within 1-2 hours. Worth taking the time to do it.Written 5 August 2022
- Lovely friendly crew picked us up after our walk along Loch Morar. The dinghy to the boat was an added bonus. The views back were stunning. Jane’s restaurant recommendation was spot on. All in all couldn’t fault it.Written 1 May 2023
- The only place that seems to acknowledge that you have tourists visiting on a train ride from Fort William. The rest of the town could learn something from this place. Lots of history and fair variety of artefacts to see. Not much for children. Maybe there could be guided talks ?Written 29 August 2022
- Only takes a couple of minutes to get up the steps, and once up there are great views over the silver sands estuary in one direction (out to the sea) and in the other direction a good view of Loch Morar.
I tried a few other places for a view of Loch Morar, but this is as good as any of them, and much easier to access to boot, so just stick with this!Written 26 April 2022
- Hired bikes for family to cycle to Arisaig beaches and Loch Morar - bikes in good nick, rates reasonable and staff friendly ( thanks Duncan)Written 10 August 2019
- We had a terrible encounter with Father Stanislaw. After reading many great reviews we decided to book the Chapel cottage attached to the church.
We chose this accommodation as we spotted a fireplace in the pics and we really had our heart set on having a fire.
Soon arrival we noticed a not saying do not use the fire so we messaged and politely expressed we were disappointed we couldn’t use the fire as we chose the accommodation specifically because it had a fire. We received a response from Father Stanislaw saying he was sorry we were disappointed, our money would be refunded and we were to vacate and leave the key in the lockbox.. we were confused how it escalated to us politely expressing our disappointment to being told to leave.
We were trying to process this bizarre situation when Father Stanislaw showed at our door. He said as we were dissatisfied we were to leave. I expressed that we had driven 5 hours and I had terrible back pain due to a recent injury. It was 6pm, I was in agony, in a remote area and we would like to stay the night and leave the next day. He said no please vacate now. He was cold and heartless.
We were totally confused and shocked. We had a man dressed as a priest, claiming to be a priest being totally cruel and it was actually quite traumatising.Written 27 October 2023
- This a beautifully carved monument which is dedicated to all those fishermen who have been lost at sea. It is located in a an appropriated place very close to the harbour.Written 11 May 2022
- The location for St Patrick's Church could hardly be better as it looked towards the water and the building is whitewashed and looks superb.Written 11 May 2022
- I had hoped to see this from close up but it was not possible as access was denied from land side. However, from the boat I was on next day it certainly looks impressive.Written 11 May 2022
- It was great to be able to travel across the water and they can carry whole buses! It was wild to see!Written 10 October 2023
- Fantastic lunch stop after getting off the ferry. Veggie burger was delicious and husband said the mussels and venison were great.Written 18 October 2023
- A bucket list adventure I've been waiting a long time to experience, riding a Highland pony on a beach in the Highlands. I rode Flora, a very sweet mare, and we had fabulous canters along the empty idyllic beach. A very friendly yard, and I had a lovely escort.
Definitely an experience to enjoy, if you're a beginner or experienced rider.Written 2 October 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Mallaig
- The best outdoor activities in Mallaig according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Mallaig on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Mallaig according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Scottish Highlands and Hogwarts Express Tour from Edinburgh
- Glenfinnan, Mallaig and Glencoe Adventure from Glasgow
- Glenfinnan Mallaig and Loch Ness Adventure Full-Day Tour
- Jacobite Train (1st Class) & Private Cruise of Loch Nevis + Lunch
- Highland Mystique and Hogwarts Private Journey from Inverness