We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Points

3 posts
Save Topic
RCI Points

We would be very interested to hear the experience of othere in using RCI Points;

1) in exchanging accommodation - do you experience very limited availability?

2) when using Points Partners do you again experience limited availability but (surprise surprise) find you can have the same product (flight/car hire) if you pay? Do you feel that the RCI people are trying to push you into cash purchases?

We are becoming very cynical that having got us to pay for the privilege of converting to points, the reality is an enormous disappointment and we struggle to spend our points which are often poor value with exchange partners, subject to fees (£40 to book a car) and restrictions.

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RCI Points

Just to let the others know about the conversion costs from weeks to points.

RCI charges between $199 and $299 US per week to change weeks to points.

If you paid more than that, the company doing the selling kept the rest. And if they said they were RCI....they most likely lied to you. But owning a T/S, we are all used to the lies. So why would we be surprised?

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RCI Points

Here in the UK we are used to higher prices as often what the US pay in $ we pay in £; at present exchange rates double. We paid Points World (a "leading RCI affiliate") £1999 for 4 weeks, i.e. £500 per week, considerably more than the prices you state.

As you indicate there is a real lack of transparency in the timeshare industry which has often not enjoyed a good press.

The other issue I have is minimal competition in the exchange business which is dominated by one or two mega companies who pretty much dictate terms, upping fees as they like and often adopting a take it or leave attitude to customers. Sadly we cannot easily go elsewhere.

If I could turn the clock back; with the knowledge and experiences I have now I would never have bought timeshare - a sad reflection on the indusrty. The whole thing needs a good shakeup and the more of us who post our experiences, the more likely this will happen.................

Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RCI Points

We converted to rci points a few years ago and have had mixed experiences. Due to time constrictions, we usually only get offered the Canaries, but have managed to get two weeks in Barbadod next year which made us feel a bit better about things. As for points partners, I feel it is a real con as you have to use so many points for anything, and also pay a fee for the privilige. We did try to get rid of our points two years ago, but were told by a resale company to just hope RCI would take them off our hands for nothing so we wouldnt have the maintenance to pay!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: RCI Points

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 22:17