We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Topic
Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Hello there: My Husband & I will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary & so want to go to Hawaii or to Curacao,along with our 23 year old & 20 year old sons & 18 year old daughter. We have tried pricing hotel rooms & suites but the prices is so unaffordable. So, we are now hoping to find a condo or home to rent that would accommodate our family for 2 weeks this coming August,2008. We are hoping to find condo or home close to a beach, close to shopping & entertainment. I have tried looking at VRBO.com but I'm getting confused not knowing the area. I was looking at Oahu but will consider looking at other areas if affordable in Hawaii. Hoping someone with experience going through the same issues can steer me in the right direction. Looking forward to any and all replies!

P.S.: I would love to hear people with timeshares who could shed some light on this or want to rent out their timeshare in Hawaii

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Just got back on Jan 1st from Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club on Oahu.(Kapolei is the area) (see my review) . You can rent these in 2 or 3 bedrooms for about 1900-3000 a week. Check vacationrentals.com or redweek.com .They are really beautiful and in my opinion affordable. Been to 3 of the HI islands, and this was by far the best accomodation, and the best mix of luxury and affordability.It's hard to find luxury timeshares in Waikiki. Pretty much all High Rise, no great pools, etc. May try Resort Quest.com. Ko Olina is about 20 min. from the action in Waikiki, ( which your kids might not like). That in my opinion is a GOOD thing. I am mid 30's and I'm definately over the club scene, but I'm not to old to remember wanting that!lol and don't forget to check my review and the traveller photos!

The Marriott Maui Ocean CLub, and the Westin Kaanapali Villas are both on Maui, and sit next to one another near the city of Lahaina. There is shopping, and a bar scene, but not as intense as Oahu. These are all oceanfront, but Maui will run you twice as much $$

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Dear SuburbanBAP: Thank you so much for your response with respect to my condo query. I will most certainly check out the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. In the meantime, could you please direct me to your review of your vacation that you mentioned. I can't seem to locate it. HELP once again!!!!

P.S. I was excited for a short while thinking I had solved my problem when I came across the Outrigger Waikiki shore codominiums. Unfortunately, they have no openings at all for the months of July & August, 2008. Can you believe that!!!!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Just click on my name and then click reviews. It's the most recent one. Also you can get a 5 night stay at this property for 799.00 if you come in on their timeshare preview package. Check Marriottvacations.com and click on preview offers, then Ko Olina Beach Club... good luck.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
206 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Actually, I'm sorry.. the package deal requires attendance at at 90 min. presentation. May only be offered to US citizens of certain states. (check the fine print).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Hello there: Thank you so much for your quick response. Your review of the Ko'Olina resort made me want to be there at this very moment in time! I'm definetly going to check this out. We will require a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo so I hope they will be able to accommodate. My only concern is that it will be too quite of a destination for my children, who most likely will have to drive to the Waikiki beach are for night time entertainment or am I wrong in making this assumption? Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted. Ciao, Maria

P.S.: I'm also checking out Curacao at the same time which also looks promising.

bc
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Aloha, we just spent Xmas&New Years(2 wks) in a 1 bdrm timeshare at the Wyndham on Lewers str. We have a 17 yr.old, although Waikiki was extremely busy at that time of year, being able to walk to shopping, beach & entertainment is a must with young adults. We have been to Waikiki over a dozen times, have stayed at hotels and condo's with kitchen. If you do plan on cooking dinners then I would check out places within walking distance to Waikiki. If you are just wanting coffee, breakfast and a fridge to keep a few snacks& beverages, I would check out the Embassy Suites on Lewers Street. This hotel was right across the street from us and had a very nice pool. Read the on line reviews as the breakfast at another Embassy suite we stayed at in Seattle was just like an all inclusive resort. The Wyndham was very nice, clean and had all amenities it did not have a great pool,and we ate out for dinners every night so did not need a full kitchen. For your information we booked twice through VRBO, if you book well in advance you will have more choice and better pricing. We have also stayed at the Ilikai Marina, Waikiki Banyan, Royal Kuhio & Four Paddles. All were nice but if location is what you are looking for look at the new beachwalk area. If you haven't been to Waikiki in awhile you will be very surprised lots of new restaurants and shopping is great.

Hope this helps.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Hello luvwaikiki: Thank you for your insight on Waikiki. My family & I have never been to Hawaii before & I think this is why I'm having such a difficult time picking accommodations for us. We don't plan on spending alot of time in our rooms but we are hoping to be vacationing for a 2 week period so I think a 'condo/suite/home' setting would be better but the 'dollar' cost is the controlling factor in this instance. How far was your hotel from the beach, how long of a walk was it? Thank you in advance!!!

bc
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

Hello Mrs. Ontario,

The place we stayed at was only a 3 minute walk to the beach, it was in the new area of Waikiki Beachwalk (very nice shops, restaurants etc...) Waikiki is busy compared to the other Hawaiin Islands, but for your 3 sons & daughter it has something for everyone. Staying right in Waikiki, you iliminate the need for a car, and only rent it when you plan on going around the island to sight see. The Polynesian feel on the islands is so beautiful, but I have never been to Curacao before to compare the two. We have been to numerous Mexican All Inclusives (both pacific & caribbean waters), as well as a Caribbean Cruise. Hawaii is a more expensive holiday, but well worth it. Some people prefer the other islands for the beauty and tranquility, but might be not enough to do for the youner ones in your group. And you definitey need a car when going on any of the other islands. Hope this helps, and like I mentioned before the place we rented (timeshare) was very nice, clean, gym, games room, washer& dryer in room. If just did not have that big of a pool and no view of the ocean. Look it up online Wyndham Beachwalk has 1-3 bedrooms.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

Aloha luvwaikiki

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

I think you'd be much happier in a timeshare condo than a hotel, especially with 5 people in your group.

My hubby and I also went to Hawaii on our 25th. We own a timeshare and were lucky enough to trade it for Kauai, Hawaii (one week) and then rented from a private party who owned several timeshare weeks for another week.

Although this is a nice forum there are other places that I would suggest if you want to rent someones timeshare. One would be VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner) and another would be e-Bay! Yes, e-Bay! Actually the condos rented on e-Bay are closer to the check-in date and usually cheaper than VRBO or other websites. It's as though the owner is getting closer to the deadline and hasn't rented his/her unit yet so they're going to auction it off! Just make sure you are looking at a rental, not a re-sale.

I've done rentals on e-Bay twice and could not believe what I received. Both times for the price of two nights motel stay I got beautiful accomodations in wonderful locations. I daydream and pull up the Hawaii condos on e-Bay all the time. They are in my timeshare network and I usually can't qualify to trade into them! I am familiar with most of them by name.

Check out VRBO, e-bay and TUG2.net. Also type in Hawaii Rentals on google and you will get much, much more. They will not all be timeshares, some of them will be motels or bed & breakfasts but you will see a lot of stuff. Good luck and Happy Anniversary!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,159 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii Home or Condo Rental

We rented a condo at Turtle Bay in the north of Oahu near the surfing beaches for 9 days. Before that we spent 3 nights in a hotel in Waikiki. We rented our condo via VRBO as has been suggested. With free range teens/twenties I might pick Waikiki, but I preferred the quieter areas myself. I went with my 3 teens/tweens.

Or, if going w/o kids we'd probably go back to Maui instead. Lots of rentals there too. But I liked Oahu better than I thought I would.