We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revolt of the scammed

outthere
10 posts
Save Topic
Revolt of the scammed

I read so many reviews about timeshares scams it made me wonder,is there a way for all the people who fell victims to start a revolt? Fight back and get the scums out of business, give refunds, lower fees, whatever...?

Florida
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Revolt of the scammed

You need to hurry! the elections are only 4 weeks away, you might have time to contact one of the candidates and get the to do a bail out bill. If you wait they will get elected and you wont be able to find one for another 4 years

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Revolt of the scammed

you got some issues you only get scammed if you let yourself get scammed

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Revolt of the scammed

How and where exactly were you and all these people scammed??

Every time I read about someone who was "scammed" by a timeshare deal - it is really just a matter of not doing their homework, and not reading the paperwork involved.

I have 3 timeshares (all at the same resort), and have been to numerous timeshare sales promotions and I am very happy with timesharing.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Revolt of the scammed

I have read through flagships other posts and it would appear that he has had a bad timeshare experience but hasnt ben specific what it was. I hope he/she will open up with us all and tell us what went wrong.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Revolt of the scammed

I have to agree with what appears to be the broad tone of the replies in this topic. Anybody being unaware of the potential scam tricks must have been living under a rock for the past 20 years. The level of publicity, certainly in the UK and I would imagine the US similarly, has been such that it's been almost impossible to miss.

People do let their guard down whilst on holiday, but that is their own choice and they really have nobody but themselves to blame if they get caught.

Most wouldn't spend 1000s of £, $ or whatever on a whim at home so why do it on holiday. Attend presentations by all means, but if the sales person says the offer is for that day only walk away fast. If it's genuine there is no reason to pressurise people to buy without the opportunity to consider the package fully and at leisure.

North, Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Revolt of the scammed

I know that there are some people who love their timeshares. And you are right in saying that people should be more careful and not buy.

My point is that people do buy, when pressured and in the spur of the moment, believing all the promises, and get scammed in the process.

My post is for all of them. And I know there are a lot of them out there. The timeshare industry has a bad reputation. Maybe if the scammed got loud enough to be heard, that industry could be cleaned up.

The honest ones would not have to fear anything, and if you are happy with yours, I am happy for you.

7. Re: Revolt of the scammed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 09:20