We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Cell Phone

Illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
International Cell Phone

I am going to Ireland in May and will need a cell phone with international capability for a few weeks. There are so many options available, does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation if it is better to buy a phone or rent one short term. I will only need the phone to make a few calls to the US and be able for US residents to contact me, so I would like to have a US number if possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Cell Phone

When my kids travelled overseas we used travelcell.com. they provided easy to understand rate information for the countries they were visiting. The phone was shipped to us with the phone number, and we simply shipped it back upon return. Easy!

This was a few years ago, and there are probably many more companies competing for this market now.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Cell Phone

We use an unlocked phone (which you can buy on ebay for cheap) with a celtrek.com prepaid SIM card. You get a US phone # that you can give out or have your other phones forwarded to. There are others, but only celtrek works in Costa Rica, so I am stuck on it. about .27/min to call the US from Costa Rica. Less from other places.

3. Re: International Cell Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 20:19