We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

Just bought a timeshare, think I was hoodwinked into it.Told I had automatic rci membership.Can anyone please explain RCI?I was promised by sales guy that you can use rci for cheap flight or use it to get good discounts on flights?Is this true?Anyone ever sold a timeshare?Hard to do?

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

I've belonged to RCI for at least 20 years. Everytime I priced airline tickets thru them, I was able to get airfare myself much cheaper and better flights.

To use RCI, you need to deposit your week or points into them as soon as your yearly maintenance fee is paid (2 years before)it is due if possible and then request a week where ever you want to travel. I've been very lucky with my exchanges. Hope it works out for you.

Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

Thanks for that.Do you mean that if I even want to use RCI just for flights I need to deposit my week with them?Also once you deposit your week is it gone forever?

Europe
Level Contributor
5 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

Thanks for that.Do you mean that even if I want to use RCI just for flights that I need to deposit my week with them?Also once you deposi is it gone forever or can you get out of it?

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

No, you don't have to deposit your week to book flights. You also don't have to deposit your week. If you plan to use the week (or points) you purchased, at the resort where you purchased, then there's no need to deposit. Now, if you want to go somewhere other than your home resort, thats where the deposit comes in. Once you deposit it into the spacebank pool (your yearly maintenance fees must be paid before you can deposit), then you can request and exchange into another resort. I've also been been lucky getting good exchanges. Have only been to my home resort twice in 25 years. There's lots of good information on timesharing at www.tug2.net. Selling a timeshare is not easy.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

Desire4travel,

Absolutely no disrespect to you intended as many people get caught up in the excitement of the idea of travelling the world almost free, but if you are still within the time window to cancel the purchase then do it now.

Timeshare ownership may or may not be for you, but at present you simply don't have the knowledge to make that decision.

What is unquestionable is that you will be able to purchase the same package far cheaper on the resale market than you have through the developer.

Selling timeshare is difficult and even more so given the current financial climate. Most sellers consider themselves fortunate if they recoup 10% of the original purchase price. Many end up trying to get rid of them for $1 on places like ebay and still don't find buyers. Don't forget you have annual maintenance fees to pay, not just the original purchase price.

It's also far from uncommon to be able to find units for rent at resorts for less than the annual maintenance fees.

Once again - if you can cancel then do so now. Make sure you follow the rules for cancelling to the letter. Then look on sites like www.tug2.net, the world's biggest site for timeshare users & owners to educate yourself further.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

No, you do not have to deposit your week to use their travel agency services. You only need to deposit your time if you want to exchange for a resort other than your own. If you plan to use your own timeshare every year, there is no reason to belong to RCI. Did you receive a free membership (lifetime)with your timeshare? We did and I do exchange some of my time through them and use the rest of my time at my home resort or one of the other resorts within their system.

7. Re: Timeshare in Mexcio and RCI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2010, 05:17