We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethnic cooking

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ethnic cooking

We have a luxury holiday home at tigersden New Zealand.We have in the past had a problem with people from Asia -India who like to cook food with very strong flavours as they do at home .The problem is we cant get the smell out of house for ages,how do we respectively have in our rental agreement that there will be no ethnic cooking ,trying not to offend anyone.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethnic cooking

It is quite simple put what you want in the rental agreement and increase the bond substantially you charge to cover the chances of them cooking. You may lose some business but the upside is you wont have to refurbish your home everytime you have guests who like to cook spicy foods. I have seen an Indian family who did not want to have the spicy foods permeating through their house, having some gas cookers set up in the garage which they used for cooking spicy foods and curries etc. They closed off the garage area whilst cooking and the smells never permeated through the house. If the weather was okay they partially opened the garage door to let the smells escape. If you have a sheltered area outside you may consider putting burners there.I dont see any alternative apart from standing over them while they cook.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 03:51
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethnic cooking

I understand your concerns, but getting the wording right in the rental agreement could be difficult. You obviously can't use the term 'ethnic cooking' as it really doesn't explain anything as 'ethnic' simply means "derived from a cultural tradition", therefore a meat pie is 'ethnic cooking'. Even a term like 'strong flavours' is equally vague.

You'll have to work on the wording to ensure that people from any background will understand what you will and will not permit. Hopefully the laws on discrimination in NZ aren't as restrictive as over here in the UK as over here you could almost guarantee that someone would start screaming 'race prejudice' at the very suggestion of restricting what others can do in your property. :-(

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethnic cooking

Without charging too much & risking not letting it out at all & discriminating against some of your guests seems unreasonable. Probably just using , vinegar in small cups on top of kitchen cupboards, etc., Fabreeze & airing it would do the trick... I have an Indian neighbor who told me this. Asking people to do their cooking in a garage?! is not only dangerous; it's demeaning...

The bottom line: either you want to rent it out or not - the choice is yours....

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethnic cooking

You can be as specific as you like in putting conditions on your Rental Agreementas long as it doesnt breach the Human Rights Act or the Race Relations Act.

I would use a clause similar to the following:

"The Cooking of highly spiced aromatic foods is not permitted within the house but may be carried out in ........................". if you make an area available.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethnic cooking

thats great thanks for tip.

6. Re: Ethnic cooking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2010, 07:16