We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
287 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Is anybody else as upset as I am about so many RCI resorts charging such high A/I fees on top of the purchase of timeshare, annual maintenance fees, RCI membership and exchange fees??

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay this much money, when it's possible to buy an A/I package, including air fare, for far less money?

These fees seem mainly to apply to Mexico and the Caribbean; the very places we want to visit. It has basically locked us out of about 98% of the resorts we'd like to visit, which is ludicrous. There's no way we could ever manage to spend over $100 per person per day - we'd have to eat and drink non-stop all day!! It's particularly ridiculous when trying to book a last-call or extra vacation: a unit for approx $300 per week, suddenly becomes, on average, $1700 per week - not exactly a last minute bargain!!

I have written to RCI on numerous occasions regarding this matter and have basically been told that it's just the way it is and too bad!!! If the resorts want to charge mandatory all-inclusive fees and people want to pay that (and not have the wonderful experience of eating out at local restaurants and cafes) that's fine, but for RCI Members, I think it should be optional not mandatory.

I would like to know what other timeshare owners think.

121 replies to this topic
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

The general availability and massively increased fees for RCI membership and exchanges are amongst the reasons I left RCI a few years ago. Back in the 'good old days' and they really were good compared to the latter ones, there was good availability in the areas I wanted at the times I wanted. Latterly, as you have suggested, availability became almost non-existent. RCI wasn't interested until I cancelled my membership then they were all over me like a rash trying to convince me to rejoin with reduced fees etc. Too late - much too late.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

AI resorts are predominantly in Mexico and the Carribean. I guess it's something which Americans prefer. You don't have to book them of course but eventually you may be even better off with the AI deal because the restaurants in the resorts can be very expensive. However RCI offers these resort not only for a very low amount of trade points, they are also offered for only a small fee as extra vacation. By doing that you don't have to exchange a week or points. Besides RCI offers a very attractive promotional deal on the AI which often can't be beat by other offers. You can often go for the half of the normal AI price. Last but not least you can attend a timeshare presentation and receive a huge amount of resort credits or get a huge discount on the bill. So after all it may not be so expensive but in fact it is relatively cheap!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Sorry Margariet . . . I disagree . . . and will not deal through RCI (rental or exchange) into an AI resort, period. I guess I just don't want to go to Mexico badly enough.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

You might be right about that! It's not my first choice either. We have done it only a few times in our lives. We don't eat and drink much but in some places in Mexico it's hard not to choose AI! But I only point at the fact that if you want to do AI you can get promotional deals via RCI which can be quite competitive. I won't do it again, however!

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
287 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

If you re-read my original post, you will see that no matter what, in my opinion it is the most expensive way to travel. We can book an all-inclusive package, complete with flight, at a 4 or 5 star resort for anywhere between $1000-$1600 for the entire week! Last minute deals can be even cheaper!! I repeat, if we do either an exchange or last-minute or extra vacation, plus flight + mandatory all-inclusive fees, it will cost way more than that. Eating out at local restaurants is a pleasure for us - we don't go to fancy tourist places - we like to find family run places that are nearly always pretty inexpensive. We also like to have our own kitchen so we can snack whenever we feel like and we really love eating breakfast on the balcony. Shopping at local supermarkets is always a treat for us - I hardly ever cook though!

Apparently it's the hotels that insist on the mandatory all-inclusive fees (we could NEVER spend that amount of money on food and drink, even if we wanted to!). If RCI cared about their members, then they could negotiate with the resorts so that they could have the option of all-inclusive and NOT have to pay mandatory fees.

It is highly unlikely I'll renew my membership - would rather just rent nice condos in future (although I'll miss the gorgeous resorts)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Try booking a cruise through RCI and see how little your week gets you (though not quite as expensive as an A/I) and as a single traveller, I get to pay as much as a couple for either a cruise or A/I for the convenience of using my week. Ha.

I will never book an A/I or cruise through RCI. I have been a member for over 30 years and though I still support the program, that's because I don't use it for beach destinations; I can book way in advance, or on last calls and I often travel off season. I still love my RCI membership, but I can see how all your comments and complaints are valid. It has become much more money hungry and charges for any personal interactions - but they don't pay me every time they give me an unrequested solicitation calls.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I used a timeshare with a MF of $385 to trade into a week in a 2BR cottage (timeshare) in Ireland for April. With the exchange fee, I was significantly ahead of a straight rental, especially since from my trade with RCI, I still had a "leftover" balance (change if you will) of 10 TPE, enough for another week's vacations somewhere.

Some exchanges with RCI are outstanding deals. For AI, cruises, regular hotels and car rentals . . . not so much.

I am a very happy (and long term as in nearly 30 years) RCI member! I've seen a ton of changes over that time, most not in favor of TS owners, but still, they are a pretty good value-added to TS ownership.

Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I did an exchange through RCI with my DVC to Sandals in Jamcia I put in for it Nov 2009 and it just came through last week. At the time they showed an AI cost of 832.00 per couple now its not longer listed on their site and DVC or RCI knows what it is! Something I think has to be known I don't want to land in another country and go to my resort and have them tell me its now some crazy outragous price because then what do I do I can't not go because I'm there already.

Hoping to find someone who did this exchange recently and knows the cost for the AI.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I'd contact the resort that you exchanged into, to find out what their AI fees will be for the time of your stay. I wouldn't expect DVC to know and RCI only knows as much as the resorts tell them. If it is too far out into the future, the resort you're going to may not even have the pricing set yet.

Michigan
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I finally called DVC again and while I was on the phone she put me on hold and called the resort and got all the information I needed and long with an email to send my flight my flight information so they know when we arrive.

We are staying in the St Anne Villa on the Manor side (which is accross the street from the beach) however I was told it will not include the concierge service or a stocked bar in our room if we want that the cost will be an extra $70.00 per night, not sure its worth an extra 490.00 just to have beer in my room I think thats an outlandish price for just that.

The cost for the just the regular AI is $830.00 per couple good price for what you get and this includes all food and beverages, transportation to and from the airport, none-motorized water sports and entertainment on property

Oh and there is a seperate place for check in for timeshare guests so keep that in mind so you dont' wait in the wrong line. I'm glad I found out that information before going dont' want to do that after a 2 hour bus ride to the resort from the airport.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 13:39
Reply to: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted