We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
287 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Is anybody else as upset as I am about so many RCI resorts charging such high A/I fees on top of the purchase of timeshare, annual maintenance fees, RCI membership and exchange fees??

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay this much money, when it's possible to buy an A/I package, including air fare, for far less money?

These fees seem mainly to apply to Mexico and the Caribbean; the very places we want to visit. It has basically locked us out of about 98% of the resorts we'd like to visit, which is ludicrous. There's no way we could ever manage to spend over $100 per person per day - we'd have to eat and drink non-stop all day!! It's particularly ridiculous when trying to book a last-call or extra vacation: a unit for approx $300 per week, suddenly becomes, on average, $1700 per week - not exactly a last minute bargain!!

I have written to RCI on numerous occasions regarding this matter and have basically been told that it's just the way it is and too bad!!! If the resorts want to charge mandatory all-inclusive fees and people want to pay that (and not have the wonderful experience of eating out at local restaurants and cafes) that's fine, but for RCI Members, I think it should be optional not mandatory.

I would like to know what other timeshare owners think.

121 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

>>>It's not what we signed up for. <<<

Then you made a mistake in "signing up" for RCI. First and foremost, they are an exchange network. Sure there are other vacation opportunities like Extra Vacations, Last Call, etc . . . but that is not why they exist.

Also, more often than not, the inventory in those rental pools are not the same as the exchange inventory. Often resorts (and developers) deposit into the rental pool so as to fill up units and in the case of AI resorts . . . COLLECT AI fees.

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
287 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

When I purchased my timeshare (not at an a/i resort) and became a member of RCI, there were hardly any mandatory a/i resorts and a few optional a/i's. It was easy to do an exchange every couple of years and supplement with the occasional last call/extra vac, etc. The numbers have increased incredibly over the past few years - so, I don't think I made a mistake by signing with RCI - I merely believe that RCI has let its members down. Anyway, I won't be concerned with it any longer after the end of 2013!

33. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 14:05

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I gave up on RCI and II many years ago as their rules and charges became so intrusive and exhorbitant. Down in our part of the world we dont seem to have these problems.

Independence...
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

I think it is absolutely ridiculous personally. I am very upset at RCI and my wife and I wish we had never bought a timeshare through them. They have terrible customer service. I have recently written to the BBB about them, not that anything will get accomplished by that, but none the less. They led us to believe when we purchased last summer, that there wouldnt be a any extra fees for all inclusive. I feel like we have been taken. Extremely upset and will not be recommending RCI to any friends who ask. I have found "last minute" deals online, for the same resorts, some for less than $500 a week per person. Why on earth are we paying $800/yr plus $100/yr for membership fees and than have to pay $250 for an "exchange rate" and on top of that they want anywhere from $1000-2000 for a weekly "mandatory" fee for all inclusive. Absolutely asinine and is a raquet. Not to mention the initial fee for the timeshare, which is $20,000-50,000, approx $100-200/mnt when mortgaged out.

Sincerely, very upset RCI member...NEVER AGAIN!

36. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 19:05

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Most of the AI resorts are in Carribean Mexico as far as I can determine. We don't do AI and have been fine with RCI's "Last call" and "Extra vacation" offerings. the Price is right and we stick with Gold or Siver crown stuff., The LCs and EVs easily take car of the annual RCI membership fee.

As for the Maintenance fee and ongoing ownersip costs.... Buy a Time share... if you are thinking about it... on EBAY. The costs are minimal and the advantages cost competetive with "going it alone".

I agree that AI is not cost competetive and you lose out on experiencing the cultural offerings outside the walls of the resort. Might as well take a cruise... unless you get seasick (smile).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Matthew you still seem to have your facts wrong. Sorry you are so upset & disappointed. Best to try to find how to use what you own. Whining on Trip Advisor will not help you.

jamestown
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Yes, I joined Rci in 1984 when I purchased my timeshare and you could use your week if it wa not traded. That was several RCi ownerships ago as theyhas been sold several imes and each owner has to find new ways to pay for the company, at timeshare owners expense. RCI's exchang fees have risen faster than inflation and almost asfast as Obama's budget!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees

Not a huge RCI fan myself, but I don't understand the problem. If you don't want to pay all-inclusive costs because you don't think you will eat/drink that much-don't be looking at all-inclusive resorts. I have travelled to Mexico/Carribean many times and have had not trouble booking a non all-inclusive resort. In fact I was just at Grand Melia Cancun from Feb 9-23 in a studio unit with kitchen. Booked both weeks with $199 certificates. It was outstanding.

Reply to: RCI Mandatory All Inclusive Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions