We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

It started with the Mayan properties, and has now spread to the timeshare properties owned by the Bulnes family - Solmar, Grand Solmar, and Playa Grande.

Without any notice, the Bulnes family raised the "Resort Transfer Fee" for their properties to be 10% of the original sales price (NOT the price you may have paid for your week/unit). If you use a broker or other third party to sell your timeshare, then they will pay 40% of the original sales price in the form of a "Resort Transfer Fee".

What does this mean? Let's say last year you purchased a Playa Grande timeshare week on eBay for $2,000. This week originally sold (back in the day!) for $30,000. If you decide to sell your unit, you will have to pay to Playa Grande a $3,000 "Resort Transfer Fee". That is $1,000 more than what you paid for the week in the first place!

If you use a broker to sell your week, the "Resort Transfer Fee" jumps to $12,000!

The Bulnes owned resorts do not have any type of resale program for owners, so owners have no choice but to sell their units themselves if they no longer want them. Now, you are effectively prevented from selling your unit, unless you want to take a huge loss (even greater than the normal loss you'd take when selling a timeshare unit).

If you already own at a Bulnes resort, please feel free to contact them and voice your displeasure. Fair warning, they do not care and if you make your complaint publicly, such as on their Facebook page, they'll respond that they'll "contact you shortly" but then will hide your post from their timeline so that no one else can see it. Then it will eventually be deleted a few days later.

If you do not own at the Mayan or at a Bulnes property, but you do own a Mexican timeshare, you'd better go check your contract to see if Resort Transfer Fees are listed in your contract. If not, then your resort can choose to raise the fee anytime they want, without consequence. And, no doubt, once this catches on, your resort will eventually follow suit as well.

As an owner of four timeshare units that are now essentially worthless and cannot be resold, please heed my warning. It could happen to you.

And if you do not already own a Mexican timeshare, please consider yourself warned! The Resort Transfer Fee at the time I purchased my units was $100. Now it is thousands and thousands of dollars! I'm stuck, but it's not too late for you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

I asked the following questions on resortcom.com and received the following answers:

Q. Can you please email to us... the EXACT verbiage of the Resort Transfer Fee. We have heard rumors about it having been increased exponentially and we want to know EXACTLY what the Resort Transfer Fee is now, and how it is calculated.

A. Thank you for your email. To answer your questions:

1. First there is no exact verbiage confirming the fees. The current fees are: Broker transfer: 40% of original purchase price; and for non-broker assisted : 10% of the original purchase price.

2. I am unable to answer your question regarding how these fees were determined, as our office has no relationship to that decision.

I hope this was somewhat helpful,

Jennifer Duncan, Esq.

ResortCom Int'l

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Thanks for posting this warning DM! I just remembered this was here, so I'm happy to see you remembered well before I did! Now to hope all those considering a purchase at the Solmar properties see this, and are warned about this new, and most disgusting change. It is so sad to see the changes happening in this once family friendly, 'owner' friendly group of resorts. Greed is truly a horrible thing :(

3. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:05
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

It seems to me that there are problems popping up all the time regarding problems with Mexican Timeshares and buyers complaining. The way I see it from afar is a combination of buyers not doing due diligence properly and developers knowing that the Gringo is not doing thorough due diligence taking advantage of the fact.

I have always found it of interest that many would be purchasers of timeshare products around the world spend more time evaluating the purchase of fresh fruit in their supermarkets than they do outlaying thousands of dollars buying timeshare of which they know little how it operates,from developers they know nothing about and the rules pertaining tto timeshare purcahse and operation in the country where the timeshare resides.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Sadly-it didn't matter how careful we were-they changed to "rules" at the Solmar properties at least :(

Edited: 24 October 2012, 00:04
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,981 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

I find it so amusing that two posters have popped up now on two dirfferent threads today ( Angelina on this one , Rick on another thread) both first time posters , each inviting you to visit a 'blogZ" which ends upnbeing an ad offering to "help"scammed customers ( for a fee o0f course) . Seems like we now have scammers wanting to pretend to help the scammed... plase join me in reporting both ( and any thers that appear) for removal. They are obviously preying on the misfortunes of others and all you will do is lose even more money.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Hummmmmmmmm..................teach me to not bother clicking on something..............thanks for the info Lulu.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,981 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Correction- there are actually three posters who joined today to tout the same blog- here's what the latest ( allegedly "Brad from Seattle" )has to say:

It's outrageous how dishonest and tricky most of the mexican timeshare companies can be, and gets even worse when you realize the police is just the same way. I just read an article about it: timesharescam.com/blog/… you should take a look at it, it might be helpful, good luck!!

Just such an amazing coincidence , isn't it.. defies all the odds in such a seldom vsited forum as this....

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,877 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

LOL, Lulu.............and I'm sorry-but the grammar is a bit interesting also...same person-different names?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexican Timeshare Owners Beware!

Every time you see one of those posts, just mark them as self-promotion. They are obviously shill posts touting the "services" of that website.

The website is just as bad as the timeshare salespeople, because you pay them thinking they'll be able to help you but, instead, they just take your money. So, you get burned twice!

Get answers to your questions