We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do rental agreements commonly have an indemnity clause?

Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Do rental agreements commonly have an indemnity clause?

I have never rented a vacation house before but am trying to for this summer in Pennsylvania. I was sent a rental agreement, which I expected, but it contains a indemnity clause that says I have to indemnify the property owners for all injuries and property damage. The indemnity clause I didn't expect to read as it does. How can I take all liability when I've never seen the property? What if it is the property owners fault someone got hurt? Why do I have to indemnify? My main question is...are these clauses in all rental agreements? Am I stuck signing if I want to go? Thanks for your help!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do rental agreements commonly have an indemnity clause?

Below is a review of PA law on the subject, if you want to weed thru it. If really concerned consult an attorney. I'm afraid these are fairly common. However, no one can ask you to hold them harmless against negligence e.g. a leaky furnace emitting carbon monoxide that might kill you and your family. This is a tricky law and wording, specificity, scope are all critical to holding up in court.

margolisedelstein.com/files/additional_insur…

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do rental agreements commonly have an indemnity clause?

I've been renting vacation homes for about 25 years.

I have seen "indemnity clauses" (sort of) in rental agreements, but they specified things like "use kayaks at your own risk". I've never received a rental agreement with an indemnity clause covering the entire property.

Our society is increasingly litigious. Maybe this owner is just particularly careful, Nonetheless, I would think carefully before signing.

3. Re: Do rental agreements commonly have an indemnity clause?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:15