We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning about VRBO

S T
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Warning about VRBO

Hi.

In the last few weeks, I have been searching VRBO for a 7 day vacation rental and contacted several owners/ property managers in the Seal Beach and Huntington Beach areas. The VRBO site has dozens of properties listed for these cities. Through my own internet search of individual properties, I found out that both Huntington Beach and Seal Beach ban vacation rentals less than 30 days but the rental managers/owners I contacted through VRBO didn't disclose that. Thankfully I found this out prior to putting down a deposit (one person asked for 50% down). I contacted VRBO to let them know that their site is allowing individuals to post illegal rentals so let's see if they make any changes. Be careful!

natsellssealbeach.com/the-demise-of-seal-bea…

S T
Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning about VRBO

As of 2/2013, Seal Beach council still banning rental properties. Why are people still advertising their properties on VRBO then?

…patch.com/articles/city-vetoes-vacation-ren…

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning about VRBO

Why do you not understand that VRBO accepts advertising from people willing to pay for their and is in no position whatsoever to remain up to date with every small town regulation? In addition to city ordinances that may or may not be clear, there are also HOAs with their added regulations.

Sorry you're unhappy with your experience. Good luck on your crusade. ;)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning about VRBO

VRBO is but an advertising medium not a regulatory medium. "Vacation Rentals By Owner". If local bodies don't allow certain activities don't blame the advertising medium, blame the owners who are breaking the rules.

Maryland
Level Contributor
409 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning about VRBO

I have encountered more than one "Rental by Owner" scenario in which the "owner" rents the unit to him/herself, and then "sub lets" it out for 7 days, 14 days, whatever. Technically correct, but probably violates the "spirit" of the regulation.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning about VRBO

I think the point is....yes they just accept advertising from owners but once they know that they are accepting illegal adverstising....what do they do? wouldn't you expect them to at least look into it? I mean if they are representing themselves as reputable in the eyes of the consumer?

I would place more responsibility on them in regards to their own behavior. I have seen others post that they paid fees through thier site. not sure that is how it works as I have never tried that. I would never expect them to know all the crazy laws out there but once notified that there could be an issue....shouldn't they take a look?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning about VRBO

Ti83 the only way an advertising would be aware that an advertisement may be illegal is if someone brings it to their attention. Whether a rental is contrary to a local by law is my view not an issue for the advertising medium but the placer of the advert. The Advertising medium would however be accountable if it broke advertising standards in the area where it advertises

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning about VRBO

Not sure of the issue here. Do you want to rent the place or not? Why do you care what the local rental rules are? It is the property owner who would be accountable to the municipality. Certainly not VRBO's problem.

8. Re: Warning about VRBO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 05:16