We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Problem With Flipkey

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The Problem With Flipkey

Is that if you get scammed you can't post a review.

Poughkeepsie, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

Please be advised that since owners pay to be on the site very few if any negative reviews get posted. I just got scammed on a property in the Adirondacks which had great reviews. After doing much research and trying to post a truthful review to no avail yet....I did a search of all the properties in the Adirondacks and lo and behold there is not a property in the entire Adirondack Park with less that 4.5 stars. It is a miracle! Then I did a search on the Jersey shore and not a review under 3 stars. Another miracle! Being very familiar with both areas I know that cannot be true. So be forewarned....

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,071 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

Surely not. People who have been on a paid website for a long period of time are nort rip off artists but are all above board

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51697982

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,446 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

"Surely not. People who have been on a paid website for a long period of time are nort rip off artists but are all above board"

First, I do not vouch for Tripkey. I am unfamiliar with the policies. I am familiar with the site that I speak about. I know senior leadership at the company and am well-versed in their practices. I stand by every word.

Second, before you get your panties in a bunch, perhaps you should ask the nice visitors here what they mean by "scammed". In the context of our conversations, being scammed means someone posting a fictitious listing, taking the money and not delivering a product. Did that happen here, or where the customers unhappy with the product they received?

Bean, I'm uncertain what your problem is, but your behavior is unbecoming of a Destination Expert. For my part, I should know not to get into a contentious discussion with anyone with as much time as you have to post half-truth ad nauseum.

4. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 06:05
montreal
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

Paid TripKey in full with Canadian credit card for a rental in Whistler Canada that I found via Trip Advisor. The reservation was cancelled by the owner two days later due supposedly to a calendar error. Refund received ok, but $150 less than I paid. Flipkey says because the money was converted to US and then back again to Canadian for the refund, they cannot and will not do anything. Amazon, Sears, and others seem to be able to handle this kind of thing correctly and fairly with their .ca sites. Very surprising from a company like Trip Advisor with international aspirations.

Canadian (and other non-US) customers be warned! Look at things using Trip Advisor, but book through a site where you can pay in Canadian dollars.>

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

We had the same problem with VRBO. You will never see a bad review unless the property owner wants you to, which clearly conflicts with their business goals. VRBO will receive a complaint if you have experience some type of fraud with one of their members, but their representative told me they usually don't act unless they receive the same complaint twice, and cannot post any type of warning for other consumers because of privacy issues. They do offer insurance for an extra fee that may cover some of these types of issues, but only if you book through them rather than directly with the property owner.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

"You will never see a bad review unless the property owner wants you to,"

...except that that isn't how it works.

Full disclosure: I own property that I rent out.

The owners never get to see a review before it is posted. We have no idea whether it's a good one or a bad one. One of the sites (and I don't remember if it's VRBO or one of the others) will ask you if a person stayed at your place or not. If you say "yes" then the review gets posted, good or bad. If you say no, then the onus is on the renter to prove that they were there. If they prove it, the review gets posted.

Owners have little to no control over this, beyond what I just wrote.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

Just so you know, I sent an inquiry to a listing using Flipkey, sent a deposit as requested and when I got no information about how and when to access the apartment I complained to Flipkey support. They said the owner's e-mail was hacked (Didn't Anthony Wiener use that excuse?). The money is gone, I never stayed at the place and I have no recourse even though I have made police reports and complaints to my bank and the scammer's bank.

I now use Air BnB because they hold the money and don't release it to the owner until you actually get what you pay for.

Chattanooga...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

I was very excited to find a way to connect my Beach Rental to TripAdvisor. Over the years, I have come to value TripAdvisor as an invaluable resource for my vacation planning and such, but after listing my Vacation Rental on FlipKey that has changed.

Being listed on FlipKey is a double edged sword! I get lots of inquiries on my property, but I have NEVER landed an inquiry on FlipKey. Reasons being: FlipKey always screws up my rates, they charge a booking fee to me and to the inquirer, my email responses go to spam and never get read, I have absolutely NO WAY of contacting a potential guest outside of the FLipKEY Gustavo.

So I have to say that for honest owners (like me) who want to actually be able to talk to the person who is going to rent their condo that they care about deeply, are just as vulnerable to scams as a general user.

I don't know how much longer that I will be listed on FlipKey. I figured that TripAdvisor would actually care that they are attached to such an awful company, but it seems as though they are just silencing the threads, and ignoring the feedback

Chattanooga...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Problem With Flipkey

I rent on VRBO, we do not have the opportunity to approve or disapprove reviews. What is written is what gets posted. They only recourse owners have is to post an owner response to a bad review.