We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

I just read the VRBO scam post and the biggest advice is to not wire money to anyone. Great advice except for the fact that almost all the international vacation rentals require this.

I've found a house in Spain after weeks of searching. I need to wire a deposit now and the balance 8 weeks before occupancy. Can I suggest another form of payment?

Deb

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Deb, wave your money goodbye right now if you wire money.

Legitimate owners know that wire transfers are used by criminals. Those same legit owners accept credit card payments. Do not wire money under any circumstances. This is a simple rule. Follow it.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Just for fun, post the listing where you found the rental. I'll bet it's a deal too good to be true. I am a vacation owner rental -- and reasonably good at identifying scams. Let's have a look.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Here is the TA listing. The guy seems legit to me. I've been able to trace him to a real estate company in Spain and he has been interviewed in a couple of articles as a professional with 25+ years experience. However, the only reviews are by people with only this single post so hard to verify.

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g608988…

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Well, it looks reasonably legit, but I'm still worried. Those three perfect reviews -- all by first time posters, all from the UK. I would say they are phony. He has a listing on HomeAway also, and there are no reviews. He could be new at this so pumped up some reviews, but I would still not wire any money. Final payment 8 weeks in advance is a bit off the normal path too. Most of us want final payment 30 days out. The difference is that if this is a scam, what he can do is collect money for up to 8 weeks worth of arrivals, and he does not get removed from the web site until the first arrive realizes the home does not exist. "He" Nick, may be a real person -- by the person who posted the ad may not be Nick.

Ask for a copy of their contract and explain that you will not pay by wire transfer. See if you get a reply.

Good luck.

LMM

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
200 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Here's the thing: requesting payment by wire transfer and the balance 6-8 weeks before occupancy IS the norm for rentals in Spain. I've read hundreds of ads now.

I'm going to call the guy at his office number which is posted on various websites just to make sure he is the one with the ad.

Deb

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Well, I don't think this is a great idea. If this is a scammer, he's better than most, and sadly, this means he could pull the wool over your eyes -- even though you are doing all sorts of homework. Note that two of the three posters who "wrote reviews" have never posted anything again, and they both joined THIS year and made reviews on stays in 2012... that only happens if the owner contacts them much later and asks for a review (a possibility) or they're fake.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Deb, here:

http://www.spain-holiday.com/16608

He says he takes Paypal. That's a suitable option.

LMM

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Pay by credit card is IMO the only way to make international currency payments via a secure website. If by chance the recipient is a fraudster then you have both your credit card company and the secure site provider to claim back on getting a refund.

A wire transfer is just like sending cash - DONT DO IT. If that is the only option find an alternative holiday.

Don't forget that TA is not immune from fraudsters offering bad advice

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

You can use your CreditCard to pay through PayPal and get all the same protections that you get from using your Credit Card. This is definitely the way I would go with this one. You don't need a Paypal account to do that.

USA
Level Contributor
111 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wiring money for International Vacation Rental

Just a note to tell you of our experience renting from a UK on line website for a Nerja Spain rental.. Found a nice rental, price was good and corresponded with owner in England several times. They required a deposit which we did do with a wire transfer to their bank. The remainder was not due until we were in Spain at the rental. The remaining payment was collected by their Spanish caretaker. Looking back, perhaps we should have been more prudent, but it worked out well. PS the listing had no reviews, neither good nor bad.

Get answers to your questions