We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Splitting rental costs in a rental vacation home.

Harbor Springs...
2 posts
Save Topic
Splitting rental costs in a rental vacation home.

How do we split the monthly rent on a vacation home?

5 family members : 2 brothers with wives and 1 single sister

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,670 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Splitting rental costs in a rental vacation home.

There are many variables. Without knowing your family or the layout of the vacation home, it's difficult to suggest an appropriate split ...

For simple math, and if the two couples are feeling generous, you could just split the rental cost per person (five ways). In that case the other four of you are supplementing the single sister's vacation in a big private home she probably would not have rented for herself. However, I think if fair that she then be prepared to take the smallest or least desirable room without complaint, graciously allowing the two couples to choose first.

In my experience, this issue always comes up - to greater or lesser extent - when sharing a rental. Since three bedroom homes are rarely designed with three absolutely equivalent master suites, even when all are couples, one couple ends up in with a smaller bedroom, a worse view, a lumpy mattress, etc. Should that couple get a price break?? Some groups have dealt with the inequity by giving the people with the "bad" room a break on the cooking or other chores, but it can become very complicated ... and rarely resolves anyone's bad feeling about having drawn the short stick.

Harbor Springs...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Splitting rental costs in a rental vacation home.

Thank you. This is a difficult decision mostly because we have been, for the

past several years , splitting the rent three ways. Probably best to leave matters

the way they have been.

My husband who .does not come to vacation house. is saying this split

Is not fair for me.

I hope he will understand your suggestion.

3. Re: Splitting rental costs in a rental vacation home.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 06:19