We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

Gatineau, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

Hello,

Pretty new at this rental vacation thing. We booked a villa in Florida a few day ago through tripadvisor and now the owner wants us to sign a rental agreement which is 28 pages long, full of typos on price and resemble more a long term lease than a vacation rental. He also wants a copy of our driver licences and was also asking for our kids passport. Of course, there is no way we are providing any passport information but I can understand why he would ask for driver licences.

Should we really have to sign that or is booking through this site a sufficient contractual act that binds both parties?

I'm feeling very nervous about this whole thing now

Thanks for your help.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

28 pages does sound rather excessive to me. What would you say are the strangest things they are requiring?

Gatineau, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

Other the retal fee being different on every single pages along with the length of the stay being indicated as 10 weeks instead of 7 days, there are other things like taking care of the pool, the grounds, etc... It just seems like too extensive of a contract for a 7 day stay.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

WOW - time to move on I'd say - why not just rent a timeshare for the week?

===============================

http://www.endlessvacationdeals.com/aarp

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

I would agree with you - I have rented several places and never ever seen anything that unprofessional.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

It sounds more like a long term rental contract rather than a holiday let. I too would steer clear and look elsewhere. I've rented loads of villas and never been asked to sign a contract like that.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

Sounds like an owner who is far more focused on their property than on your enjoyment. My rental contract is 1.5 pages long -- and I'd love to have it shorter. I would be disinclined to rent from this person, sounds like a huge headache.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

I would look elsewhere

southern ontario
Level Contributor
939 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

Assuming the owner sent this contract by email, is it possible he sent you the wrong attachment? I've never seen anything like that and I rent several times a year.

9. Re: Should owner force us to sign a 28 page rental contract?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 05:16