We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

A well-traveled family of four with teenagers in Oregon, USA is looking for a location where the Northern Lights are most likely to be seen in 2024. Trip could be either summer 2024 or December 2024.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Moshi

10 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,797 posts
26 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

A quick internet search is the better option for finding accurate information ( rather than other TA members opinions) for a phenomenon like this

See below, link to-

"The 10 Best Places to see the Northern Lights in 2024"

https://capturetheatlas.com/best-places-to-see-northern-lights/

Edited: 21 January 2024, 21:17
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
41,447 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
2. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

We saw the best and most Auroras in Yellowknife in September. Also no need for going in the coldest winter.

And as mentioned in the link above, Whitehorse and Fairbanks were also good destinations, also in September.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
873 posts
28 reviews
24 helpful votes
3. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Remember that the farther north you go during the summer, the fewer hours of darkness you'll have and the auroras are best seen in dark skies. Better to plan around any of the other 3 seasons.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

I really appreciate these replies. Any others are welcome! Thank you- Moshi

Edited: 31 January 2024, 15:13
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,797 posts
26 reviews
94 helpful votes
5. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Youre welcome

Somerset, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
55,000 posts
67 reviews
120 helpful votes
6. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Winter is a better time to see them. Darker skies.

But of course that means late in the night it's colder and more prone to cloud

Remember that many events are mostly visible on cameras and it's only the highest rating that they are seen with the naked eye. Often just the green.

Travel when the moon is not visible. Light from the moon spills over even if it hasn't risen yet and even stars can be made less visible. I experienced this when going to look at meteors before the moon rose over the hills.

Look up dark sky areas way up north and see what they have to say about sightings on their web sites.

Aparantly Aurora Chasing is a thing and the best way to get sightings but I think that's Norway and will not be cheap.

https://sol24.net/ovation-model

Or go for the webcams and watch in comfort from home ;-)

Edited: 03 February 2024, 22:48
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Thank you very much, Toopaz. Your helps is appreciated. - Moshi

Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
118 reviews
91 helpful votes
8. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

We visited Tromso, Norway in October to see the northern lights and had a wonderful experience. The area has terrific cold weather infrastructure and specialize in Aurora viewing with many companies taking visitors far and wide to find clear sky to witness them. It’s one of the top locations for viewing and is located on the coast approximately 210 miles above the Arctic circle. We used 3 different tour companies and saw excellent lights all three nights.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
100 reviews
141 helpful votes
9. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

I've seen Northern Lights in Whitehorse, Yukon (in March) and Tromsø, Norway (in December). One difference between the two is that Tromsø has tour companies that will drive you to clear skies - as far as Finland if necessary. In Whitehorse, the tour we took always goes to the same place outside of town. We also stayed at a lodge on a frozen lake and that's where we saw the best lights.

My advice is to go to the place that you're interested in visiting even if the lights don't show while you're there, and most importantly, stay at least 5 nights to have the best chance of seeing them. I wouldn't worry too much about the moon phase if the timing isn't good for that. If the aurora is strong, it won't matter that much. I also discovered that my iPhone took fairly decent photos of the lights. If you take a tour, the guides will help you get the best photos.

Good luck! Have fun planning.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?

Sea-ion-sf, thank you for your help. It’s appreciated. - Moshidog

Reply to: Location for Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis in 2024?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.