We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

I recently got back from cycling the length of New Zealand and it was amazing!!

I have backpacked Europe, South East Asia and Australia and whilst they were all great I loved the nature and uniqueness of travelling this way.

I absolutely love the outdoors and climbing Kilimanjaro and Everest base camp etc are high on the list but now isn't quite the right time. I would love to hear of any other bike-packing, thru hikes or generally outdoorsy adventures you have done throughout the world to give me some inspiration!

11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
48,797 posts
26 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

For Continuity/cross posted on Solo Travel forum

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k14721715-Outdoorsy_travel_ideas_Adventures-Solo_Travel.html#120413317

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
8,943 posts
2. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

I did this trip 15 years ago and it was amazing-

https://www.exodus.co.uk/trips/zambia-holidays/wildlife/zambezi-canoe-safari/wzc

It's quite basic on the canoeing bit, and definitely an adventure.

This is something I've done twice now, also amazing and with a higher price tag but much less roughing it involved-

https://www.robinpopesafaris.net/safaris/the-mobile-walking-safaris/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
661 posts
1,415 reviews
910 helpful votes
3. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

We did the TMB (Tour du Mont Blanc) - so not quite a thru-hike because it's a circle and you end up where you started. It was not super adventurous in terms of you're always in "civilization" and there are others on the trail, but the physical challenge and scenery were amazing. And you can do it an any level from backpacking / camping, to hostels, so staying at nice hotels and having your baggage transported so you just hike with a daypack.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
118 reviews
91 helpful votes
4. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

I second the TMB. We’re hiking it this summer and can’t wait. The views along the route are jaw dropping. And who could not live visiting the small hamlets and towns along the route.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver, Iceland
Level Contributor
26,460 posts
122 reviews
265 helpful votes
5. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

SnowyShasta--This is on our agenda for summer 2025. May I pm you with more questions etc?

Sirsa, India
1 post
6. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

*Bungee Jumping**: Plunge from heights, tethered only by a cord, for an adrenaline-fueled freefall.

*Paragliding/Hang Gliding**: Glide through skies, harnessed to a canopy or wingsuit, with breathtaking views below.

*Horseback Riding**: Explore trails astride a horse, bonding with nature and the majestic animal.

*Mountain Biking**: Speed down rugged trails on a bike, navigating obstacles and feeling the thrill of the ride.

*Cave Exploration**: Venture into underground caves, marveling at stunning formations and hidden wonders.

*Surfing/Paddleboarding**: Ride waves on a board, feeling the rush of the ocean and the warmth of the sun.

*Survival Skills**: Master fire-building, shelter-making, and navigation for wilderness resilience.

*Cross-country skiing/Snowshoeing**: Trek snowy landscapes, embracing winter's beauty on skis or snowshoes.

*Adventure Racing**: Test endurance in multi-discipline races, combining running, biking, and kayaking.

*Volcano Trekking**: Ascend volcanic peaks, experiencing otherworldly landscapes and breathtaking vistas.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
661 posts
1,415 reviews
910 helpful votes
7. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

Mtngrl - hello, next-door neighbor in the PNW :-) Yes, please, feel free to message me. We loved our TMB trip and are happy to help others!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
41,448 posts
7 reviews
10 helpful votes
8. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

# 6: Please make clear what you want to tell us? We all know your mentioned activities. So I only can see it as a very good hidden advertising.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver, Iceland
Level Contributor
26,460 posts
122 reviews
265 helpful votes
9. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

SnowyShasta—message sent, thank you!

10. Re: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Reply to: Outdoorsy travel ideas / Adventures!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.