We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free roaming bison

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
free roaming bison

Where is the best place in Western USA to view free roaming bison? Trying to plan a family vacation/birthday celebration.

Thanks!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: free roaming bison

Yellowstone or the Black Hills

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free roaming bison

Yellowstone is the best. They are primarily in the north end of the park in the Lamar Valley.

Don't go kicking one to get it to stand up for a photo opportunity!! Of course, you wouldn't do that. But someone does, every year.

You can see them in the National Bison Range north of Missoula, but this is not even close to the experience in Yellowstone.

There are also bison in Utah, as I know they have a bison hunt. But I don't know anything about where they are.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: free roaming bison

ainwa is right about Yellowstone. Plus, I saw loads all along the roadways and in the campgrounds at Custer State Park in the Black Hills, South Dakota.

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: free roaming bison

Thank you all. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free roaming bison

Thank you all. I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: free roaming bison

Yellowstone and Custer State Park are the best, as already noted.

In Utah, you can see bison roaming freely on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake just west of Salt Lake City. It's a nice adventure - but not sure I would build an entire trip around it.

The buffalo roundup every fall is pretty exciting to watch.

Delaware
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: free roaming bison

Thanks, now this trip is on hold. We are now headed to the Carribean.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: free roaming bison

Not a lot of free roaming bison there! But you'll know where to find them when you eventually make it to the West.

Have a great trip.

9. Re: free roaming bison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 17:05
10. Re: free roaming bison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions