We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Isle of Man, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I can't quite figure this website out. If it is and someone would point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I am setting out on the 21st July to New York City for a 90 day trip round the whole of the United States. I was wondering if anybody had any activities or sights or events that I simply must/see do while there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Hi Aaron; welcome to TripAdvisor. Destination Expert from Chattanooga, Tennessee here. (DE's are just committed volunteers that help out with questions in the forums.) I remember I joined back in the simple days, and I remember feeling alienated then. Can't imagine now what with the zillion poorly organized beyond destination forums. The best forum for your time of post is the Road Trips Forum. Here's a link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Remember this is a really busy web sites with thousands of questions asked and answered every day. You'd be surprised how some really specific questions have already been asked many times before! If you are seeking general advice, I recommend perusing the various forums and looking back into the archives (just the subsequent pages of each forum). If you want to start a topic about your trip, which of course would make us all happy, remember that the more details you include about yourself and what you want out of the trip the more helpful information we can provide you. Otherwise you'll get a mishmash of garble.

If you have any questions about the web site or just want to make a connection with a veteran, feel free to shoot me a private message. You can do that by clicking on my username and entering the ol' profile.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Hi Aaron;

Respectfully, your question is quite vague. It would be helpful to those who can be of assistance, if you provided some additional information.

What are your interests ?

What is your budget ?

How will you be travelling from place to place ?

What cities have you already planned to visit ?

The more information you provide the more detailed replies you will receive.

Best Regards

Isle of Man, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Hey guys, first of all thankyou very much for both of your help! It's most appreciated!

Well I'm Aaron, I'm 22 and from Birmingham, UK

We have our accomodation booked in New York now for 6 nights at the Wanderers West Inn.

This leaves us 83 days to travel the rest of the United States. We have a mediocre budget of aroud £5600k each, but could probably borrow more from back home if needed.

We have elected to travel by Greyhound coaches (although not booked yet) as we think these represent the best way to see a lot of the country. We will be travelling down the East Coast all the way down towards Miami etc, before heading westwards along the southern states, hitting places like New Orleans etc. We then proceed up the West coast passing San Fran, L.A, Yosemite etc before Yellowstone National Park (A major point of interest). Then westwards along the northen states hitting places like Seattle, Detroit, Minneapolis etc being in New York in time to fly out on the 18th October.

If the plan seems rather vague, its because we havnt planned that much, we've been told to try not to hold down our route so strict that we may miss other things people suggest while we are out there.

We are both interested by all things really and open to try anything new/ interesting. We both love soccer, any other sort of sports aswell including American Football. We love new technologies, nature, sightseeing, adventure activites, music events, food events/different foods etc.

So yeah, any help or pointers no matter what state or activity or any suggestions whatsoever will be warmly welcome! Thankyou so much!

Aaron

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

I highly recommend you reconsider taking Greyhound Buses. The stations are often in inconvenient locations, the trips are rather expensive, the service and quality of travel are poor, and of course the times aren't flexible at all. Frankly, unless you stick to major metropolitan areas you need a car to properly visit the US. Unlike Europe, this country was built (and is continuing to be built) with the automobile in mind and can't be very properly toured (especially if you want to visit natural and historic sites in rural areas, and most of the US is rural) without a car. If your budget doesn't allow for one, I would consider reconsidering the structure of your trip. You could always tour the country on a bike, you know. ;) I'm serious about that. My friend did that just a few weeks ago.

Columbus
Level Contributor
219 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Hi Aaron

If you like sports that might be new to you, while in Minneapolis, take in a hockey game of their National Hockey League franchise. It kills me to admit it (they are a rival of my favorite team), but the Minneapolis team is usually good, the arena is good and the fans are outstanding and friendly. It would be a great way to get a glimpse into a new sport and understand what is important to many of the people of Minnesota. The NHL hockey season should start in September, so you may be able to catch a game while you are there.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Can I come along?!! I drove cross-country after graduating college for 3 weeks. You will meet really neat, helpful people on the journey! Many will be envious of what you're doing. I'd love the time now to do a similar trip!!

I would recommend renting a car while in the states. It's the easiest to explore - especially on a cross country trip. You can explore what you want, where you want.

Beyond the perimeter loop, I highly recommend crossing through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico. Don't miss the Grand Tetons when in the Yellowstone area.

If you rent a car, take a ferry to Victoria, British Columbia from the Seattle (Anacortes) area. I have looped from there to Victoria to Vancouver and driven back into the States. Really cool area.

On the east coast, if flying back out of NY - hit the New England area towards the end of your trip to see fall color - Maine; Burlington, VT; Adirondacks, Boston, etc.

Other east coast highlights, in my opinion (beyond NYC) - Baltimore, Wash DC, Atlanta, Charleston, Miami, Orlando (theme parks!!)....

Wow...so many places to see. Have fun! Swing to SW CO and pick me up!!

Isle of Man, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

Thanks so much for your help again guys! In response to Bluecuzco, we have rethought and will be taking greyhounds for the first half of the trip (to keep costs down) and then car renting when in the southern states (supposedly cheaper).

In response to RedK thanks a lot for your help! We are stayng with some friends we met while on a recent travel to Mexico and they also suggested the same, as well as the baseball and fishing on the lakes there!

In response to PagosaSprings, your more then welcome to tag along haha. Yeah we decided if we didn't leave our deadend jobs and do it now, we would never do it so just going for it. Its so good to hear you say most of those places as many of them are on our hitlist, especially the fall in the NorthEast we have heard its amazing! The only place we hadn't considered on that list is New Mexico,,, couldn't really find many internet posts bout great stuff to do there, but will look into it more now! Only a week to go now,,, I can't wait :-D

Aaron

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,374 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

I guess you never made it over to the Road Trips forum. There are knowledgeable folks over there who would be happy to help!

If you haven't yet reserved a rental car, I suggest you look into that now. Folks who are older than you often get a great deal prearranging the rental thru a local (to them) 3rd party booking company like CarHire3000 or TravelJigsaw or something like that; they include the necessary insurance. The problem for you is that most rentals charge an additional fee for a driver under 25, and some won't rent to a driver under 23.

Other options that might work for you is to book a last minute camping or inexpensive lodging tour. TrekAmerica, Intrepid SunTrek, and GreenTortoise are all good options, especially for the southwest portion of your trip.

Think about flying expensively from area to area and using smaller airports. For example, someone on a California forum today mentioned they had gotten a good flight from JFK to BUR, a Los Angeles area airport but not LAX. JetBlue, Virgin Airlines, and Southwest Airlines are all reasonably priced options.

As an aside, when I met my now husband, he told me he intended to quit work someday to travel "for a year or so." I encouraged him to do just that, and when he finally went back to work 2 1/2 years later, we got married. He had a wonderful time traveling, and I hope your trip is just as much fun.

9. Re: 3 months trip round the states, any help please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions