We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
30 posts
172 reviews
Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

Anyone have ideas for 5-8 day backpack routes in mid to late October? Prefer an area where water is available throughout the day so I don't have to lug the whole day's supply along like I did in Paria Canyon. Also don't want to risk an area that might have an early winter snowstorm. Any level of difficulty is OK except for class 5 rope climbing.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
413 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

Mid to Late October...hmmm...the weather for most of my favorite places to backpack will be tricky at best - and very cold at night at that time of year.

I would suggest Canyonlands, but you have to carry water. Grand Canyon could be an option, but you probably needed a permit already. Maybe someone else knows?

How about Gila National Forest, in NM? Weather could be an issue at 10k feet, but less likely than other mountain areas...water and hot springs.

I'll try to think of other locations...how far are you willing to travel?

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
30 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

Pagosa - Thanks for ideas . . . will check into the Gila as hot springs sound good. Have thought of the AT (not sure what section would be good then, and have been to Smoky Mtns), and the GC, but don't know what routes have reliable water there. Also someone told me about the 'Lost Coast' hike in CA, but not sure about weather in Oct. Any ideas welcome as I have many frequent flier miles.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
413 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

Considering you have miles to use, how about Hawaii? It's been on my list to backpack!!

4. Re: Need ideas for backpacking in US in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:17